Copying music to my MP3 player?

KimDW

Cathlete
My DH got me an MP3 player for Christmas. It's made by Audiovox and is 256mb. We copied a CD over (11 songs) to the computer to put on the player thru Windows Media Player. Then we copied them over. But it's suppossed to be able to hold 60 songs and after I loaded the 11 I only had 191 mb left. So does anyone know how to condense these into MP3 form to take up less space on the player?

Thanks,
Kimbra

Kimbra, that's a rough one. My MP3 players generally drive me nuts. I would suggest visiting the website of the manufacturer. They usually have the best instructions for how to do things with their players.

Good luck!
-Nancy

You need to convert to a lower bitrate for the files to take up less space. Lowering the bitrate also loweres the sound quality but reducing it a little probably wouldn't be too noticable. I use this converter: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm. I also convert between wave and various file types to mp3 with this program.

Kimbra,

Does your MP3 player support .WMA files? My Rio Chiba does. My older Yepp did not.

WMA files are the default type of files that Windows Media Player creates when you copy a CD to your computer. WMA files are much smaller than MP3's. For example, I have John Mellencamp's Authority song on my computer as an MP3 (3579 KB) and then again as a WMA file (1825 KB). If your MP3 player will play WMA's you shouldn't need any other kind of decoder.

Thanks guys. I'm going to attempt it again tonight. Luckily I'm not needing to use it right away. I wanted it to use in the spring when I start walking and running outside.

Kimbra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.