Complicated breast cysts

deelila

I had my repeat mammogram and left breast ultrasound on 10/01/2020-

The radiologist came in to the room to speak with me after the US, first thing she said was "So your fine", you a few Cysts in your left breast and one looks complicated so I want to do a fine needle aspiration. We scheduled that for next week Tuesday.

I have 4 cysts, the one that is going to be aspirated is less than 1cm in size, which is why she cant determine if its a simple cyst so she wants to be thorough and have it looked at and possibly biopsied if it looks suspicious once it has been aspirated.

She did say she is not concerned and I can have this done at my earliest convenience but I opted to have it done ASAP (next week) as this entire situation has caused me so much anxiety and grief.

I dont know how common this is, Complicated Cysts, and how common it is to have them aspirated/biopsied and the likelihood it is actually Benign. Im petrified....anyone have similar stories you can share with me? To help ease my stress and anxiety level- report is posted below.

Narrative
HISTORY:
Patient is seen for additional evaluation requested from prior study.

FILMS COMPARED:
Comparison is made with prior exams dating back to 2016.

TECHNIQUE:
The following mammographic views were obtained: left mediolateral oblique spot compression with tomosynthesis, left synthetic views spot compression with tomosynthesis, left mediolateral, and left mediolateral spot compression with tomosynthesis.

Computer Aided Detection was used in the interpretation of this mammography study.

Technologist: Olga Gomez

DIAGNOSTIC MAMMOGRAM WITH DIGITAL BREAST TOMOSYNTHESIS FINDINGS:
There are scattered areas of fibroglandular densities.

There is an asymmetry measuring 6 millimeters in the left breast at 9 o'clock located 6 centimeters from the nipple.

ULTRASOUND FINDINGS:
Sonography was performed in the left breast at 9 o'clock 6 cm from the nipple in transverse and longitudinal planes. Ultrasound demonstrates a complicated cyst measuring 7 millimeters in the left breast at 9 o'clock located 6 centimeters from the nipple.

Sonography was performed in the left breast at 8 o'clock 5 cm from the nipple in transverse and longitudinal planes. There is a complicated cyst measuring 11 millimeters in the left breast at 8 o'clock located 8 centimeters from the nipple.

Normal appearing lymph nodes in the left axilla.

IMPRESSION / RECOMMENDATION:
Complicated cyst in the left breast is suspicious at the 9 o'clock position. Aspiration is recommended. This is likely a tiny complicated cyst. The patient has been scheduled for this breast aspiration and possible biopsy at the Koman Family Outpatient Pavilion Breast Imaging Section on 10/6/2020 at 8 am. An Epic message was sent to the referring physician with the findings and recommendations. Findings and recommendations were discussed with the patient at the time of image interpretation.

Complicated cyst in the left breast at 8 o'clock located 8 centimeters from the nipple is probably benign. A unilateral mammogram and ultrasound is recommended in 6 months.

ASSESSMENT: BI-RADS Category 4: Suspicious Abnormalit

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.