Coffee anyone!

Dani53

Cathlete
This has quickly become my favorite site because I seem to get the most amazing, supportive responses, so here goes another wacky question. Has anyone heard about coffee "creating" a layer of fat on your stomach? I have a friend (who hears the darndest information that she can never seem to support) who says that caffiene causes a layer of fat that is impossible to lose no matter how much diet and exercise. You can crunch till the cows come home, and you will never see muscle through the pudge. Now I know that coffee has its detractors, but it is honestly my only vice. No drinking, smoking, junk food, that sort of thing, but I do enjoy a cup or two in the morning with my "quiet time" getting the day started. I would hate to have to give this up!! If it is true, and anyone can explain or point me to information that supports this, I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance my wonderful friends here on this board!
Dannette

I have to have two strong cups every morning or I'm in a coma for the rest of the day . . . and my stomach's as flat as a pancake.

I think your friend is a hostage to a lot of urban diet myths and legends. And far too many people, when they say "coffee", manage to airbrush out their habit of putting in . . . oh, say . . . SUGAR . . . and . . . WHOLE CREAM . . . and WHOLE MILK . . . and CHOCOLATE SWEETENER . . . etc.

Enjoy your coffee, Dannette!

A-jock
:9

Ditto. I have been drinking coffee since I was two (I come from a Cuban family) and if there's one place on my body that is flat and toned, it's my stomach. Your friend may just be making excuses.

I do drink my coffee black, for what it's worth.

Thank goodness, because last week when I went for a physical at the doctor, I had to fast and boy all I kept thinking about was my coffe in the morning. I think i addicted to coffee!! Since I started doing Cathe a few monthes now, I notice that my stomach is getting a bit flatter, then again I never did stomach excerise until I found Cathe. I think I'll always have that tuck because of my C-section but it is alot better now since I started incorporating sit-ups and planks.

Oh Mama! I don't feel like I have done anything at all in my life with stomach muscles compared to this. Not that I am miserably in pain, but just the unique ways Cathe works it is incredible! Where are all the bent knee sit ups?? There aren't any! I am really hoping that this will make some changes, and I don't see how it can't.

My nagging voice is this thing about the coffee. I will try and ask her again just exactly she heard, and why this affects things. I do agree with the idea of adding a bunch of junk to your coffee, how that can be looked over. I do occasionally add a splash of fat free something or other to cool it down, but enjoy a nice plain cup of black all the same. She was just so convinced it was something about the chemical makeup of the caffeine........which honestly makes no sense to me, hence, posting it here for the input.

Thanks again!

O.K., I actually have a bit more information...supposedly there is something in the coffee bean itself that actually affects growth hormone levels, and that in turn affects fat stored in a body. As women age it is normal (???) to "thicken" around the middle, and somehow this all goes together with the fat on the tummy from coffee. Phew! Again, nothing I can find supports this, and I like the idea that it is all bunk. Ideas?

Mogambo! I too come from a Cuban family and have been drinking coffee since I was a wee little one as well!

Alexandra

>Ditto. I have been drinking coffee since I was two (I come
>from a Cuban family) and if there's one place on my body that
>is flat and toned, it's my stomach. Your friend may just be
>making excuses.
>
>I do drink my coffee black, for what it's worth.
>
>

I have never heard this! However, I do know that if I stop using half & half in my coffee, I drop a pound or two quickly! But man, I just cannot stand the taste of black coffee. Pass the cream, please.

Another cup? Thick middle from drinking coffee - if that were true I'd have the biggest tummy on record since I've been drinking coffee ever since I can remember - I'm hispanic and black coffee in our household is like drinking water. I drink mine usally black (having my 2nd cup) and although my tummy is getting flatter, thanks to Cathe I've never heard about this.

Drink away and enjoy the soothing aroma of fresh perked (or whatever method you use)coffee... bottoms up!!

Take care,

Iris
:9

Hi Deborah,

I love my coffee, but can't drink it black either. I started using a nonfat half & half (NOT the non-dairy creamer) and it actually tasted quite good! My hubby has even switched to it.

Hey everyone! I also am a coffee addict and I drink it black just about every morning. And although I have a some fat on my middle I don't think it has anything to do with coffee. Earlier this year I gave up coffee for lent (it was awful and painful) and did not consume any coffee for a full 50 days. My midsection did not change one bit. And when I took it up again my stomach still hasn't changed. So I agree with everyone else, drink your coffee!

Angela

You know, it is kind of funny, when you try to exercise and eat healthy, it seems that anything can come along and sort of make you feel condemned. I think I was feeling like this was one more thing I was going to have to give up, and then you sort of think, where is that "line in the sand" that a person can call "balance"? I love coffee! I don't want to give it up. I have made a lot of changes for the sake of feeling fit, and getting healthy. I just don't see the harm to anyone with this one little area of my life, and yet how easy it is to feel bad about it. I am really thrilled with all the other coffee drinkers out there, who also try to eat right and take care of themselves. I say again that balance is the key. I don't drink it all day long, or have more than a couple of cups on rough days, and so there is no extreme, out of whack consumption. I was a bit nervous with the whole idea that it affected what I was trying to accomplish, which is fitness. Thanks to everyone who has a flat tummy and loves the java!!

Dani-

My stomach is not flat (yet!!}( ), but I can tell you that my nutritionist said that it's fine for me to drink coffee. Diet soda, no, but coffee, yes!! <happydance> As you can see, my green smilie face and I are very happy.
Enjoy!

Just curious, Gayle. Why did you change to nonfat half and half? I use the fat-free, non-dairy powder creamer, but I'm wondering if there is a better alternative??? Haven't tried what you're using.

Shari

Deborah!

We use "N http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/herz.gif joy" (the heart on the packaging is not red) powdered coffee creamer we buy at Sam's Club or BJ's. It is really good as I do not like black coffee either. It is 10 calories per tsp., 0 fat, 0 cholestrol, 0 sugar, 0 sodium and 1 carb. It comes packaged in 6 different 16oz. cardboard cylinder containers, each of which lasts quite a while and is not very expensive. (I am THINKING maybe $7.00 for all 6???) Just thought I'd pass that on! Gotta have my creamer too!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Gotta add my vote in for coffee! I have a mr. coffee cappuccino machine. I get 8 o'clock coffee and grind for cappuccino. I make a whole pot (its only 8oz) and I add 2 T *yes tablespoons* of 1/2 and 1/2 -- the real stuff. YUM. I will occasionly drink a cup of regular joe and then I like it black. -joy

Hi Shari,

I was using regular full fat half & half before, and just wanted to cut out a little more fat from the diet. I tried some fat-free nondairy creamers, but there's something about the taste of them that I don't like. Using milk didn't cut it either. :(

I was skeptical when I bought the nonfat half & half, but I was very pleased when I tried it. It doesn't taste much different from the full fat stuff.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.