Clarisonic Cleansers and Lotion

Pedmom

Cathlete
I am another one that purchased a Clarisonic Mia after reading all of the raves at this site. I have been using the Gentle Hydro Cleanser and really like it, but I'm wondering if there is a moisturizing lotion to use after the cleanser. I don't see anything on Clarisonic's site.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I am 45 (well, I'll be 46 on 2/7 ha ha) and have normal skin. It just feels really dry after just cleansing.

As far as I know, Clarisonic does not sell anything actually labeled as a "moisturizer." They do sell two serums, though--one is for use with their Opal, and the other is Dr. Robb's renewal serum, which can be used "alone or with a moisturizer." If your skin is dry, you would probably need to use a moisturizer over either of these serums. I have found that, after using my Clarisonic, I need to use more moisturizer because it absorbs so well and so quickly.

But the idea behind the Clarisonic is that it cleans your skin so well that it allows whatever other products you use to absorb better and, therefore, to work better--and I believe that it does. As far as moisturizers, it depends on whether you are looking to just moisturize or are looking for anti-aging stuff. I use products by SkinMedica that I think are very good. Specifically for a moisturizer I use Dermal Repair Cream at night and their lightweight moisturizer for day. I also like M.D. Forte Replenish Hydrating Cream (without glycolic acid). The MD Forte is for sensitive skin, unscented, is very gentle, and does a great job of softening skin overnight. I also like Estee Lauder moisturizers. There are so many different kinds of moisturizers on the market, though, it is a good idea to get samples and try them first if you can. If you live near a Sephora, they are usually happy to give you samples of stuff to "try before you buy." Sometimes department stores will give you samples, too. You just have to ask.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this didn't turn into a big skin care thread~

If your skin feels "really dry" after cleansing, maybe it isn't the best cleanser for your skin?
But, I agree, a good moisturizer is in order.

I'm a new Clarisonic user, too. I use a mild cleanser, moisturizer and an AHA for exfoliation about 2 times a week from acne.org/ Danial Kern
A lot of people like Paula's choice. I'm sure you have seen all the skin care threads here. I have been very happy with mine and the products I started using. Good luck finding what works for you.

Are you happy/loving your clarisonic?

I wouldn't say I "love" it. I like it okay but I'm not sure it's the miracle worker some seem to gushingly imply. I'm sure my skin is cleaner than not using it, but I haven't noticed that I suddenly look younger (after using it for 3 months now).

I'm using the Hydro Cleaners which my aesthetician (sp) recommended. And yes, I do feel I need moisturizer after cleanser since it feels dry. And at almost 46, you bet anti-aging is important lol.

Gotcha...

I started using AHA about the same time as I started using the clarisonic, so when I noticed improvement, it is hard to say how much was attributable to which change. I think the AHA had a bigger impact, but I do love the clarisonic.

Don't ask me about Wen, I will "gush" about that, too. :>

I'm a wen gusher, too, but am less enthusiastic about my clarisonic. My oily skin became so dry, it looked like I had beard burn or was recovering from a terrible sunburn, and my previously pretty well controlled acne worsened on top of that. I wish I caught on sooner that it was the clarisonic, because it wasn't pretty, let me tell you.

I was using it at night and applying Renova afterward, so maybe it was too much, but I'm not giving up my Renova, so the clarisonic had to go. I'm happy for those of you for whom it works well. I'm giving mine to (a really, really lucky ) friend.

Trixoo, did you try a gentler brush for your Clarisonic? Mine came with a normal brush, and it rubbed my oily skin raw. I tried a sensitive and a delicate brush and the delicate worked perfectly.

nkhansen1 said:
Trixoo, did you try a gentler brush for your Clarisonic? Mine came with a normal brush, and it rubbed my oily skin raw. I tried a sensitive and a delicate brush and the delicate worked perfectly.

Hmmm...I used the brush that came with it...perhaps I should investigate this, although after what happened so far, I'm really hesitant. I appreciate the suggestion and won't give away my Mia yet. :)

Trixoo said:
Hmmm...I used the brush that came with it...perhaps I should investigate this, although after what happened so far, I'm really hesitant. I appreciate the suggestion and won't give away my Mia yet. :)

Try another brush for sure! Unless you specify otherwise, it comes with a normal brush. I use a prescription retinol as well, and the extra exfoliation from the normal brush left me with what looked and felt like burns. After switching to the delicate, my skin started healing and now looks fantastic. I have acne, and the normal brush caused it to flare big time, but everything has calmed down with a gentler brush and is back to normal. :)

I guess I'll just keep using my same old moisturizer. I thought there might be one that "complements" the Hydro Cleanser from Clarisonic, but I guess not.

I use an inexpensive microderm abrasion tool put out by Nutrogena (that comes with disposable pads that already have the cleanser inside them) and follow it up with this moisturizer:

Skincare, cosmetics, haircare, haircolor, hair styling and men's line : L'Oréal Paris}

I love the way the microderm abrasion makes my skin look! Very bright and clean and now that I have been using it for a few months I *DO* see a reduction in my fine lines.

As for the moisturizer, it's the best I've ever used! It's thick and creamy and a little bit goes a looong way! I have been battling very dry skin accumulating on the sides of my nose that other moisturizers couldn't touch but this one has pretty much solved the problem completely! Once in a very blue moon do I notice any build up of dry skin there anymore!

I started using the microderm abrasion system first and thought that IT would help with the dry skin problem but as great as it is for the rest of my face, it only had a minimal if any effect on it. The moisturizer is what solved the problem! :)

Last edited:
I've heard that the Clarisonic cleansers are all rather drying. I highly recommend Origins cleansers - I use the Checks and Balances with the Clarisonic and love it!! Recommended the same to a friend and she loves them, too. I still use moisturizer, as well (also Origins).

nkhansen1 said:
Try another brush for sure! Unless you specify otherwise, it comes with a normal brush. I use a prescription retinol as well, and the extra exfoliation from the normal brush left me with what looked and felt like burns. After switching to the delicate, my skin started healing and now looks fantastic. I have acne, and the normal brush caused it to flare big time, but everything has calmed down with a gentler brush and is back to normal. :)

Thanks for the tip...I will try it again with the different brush.

I've been using my Clarisonic with Paula's Choice products and notice a little bit of improvement a little bit at a time. I like the no-nonsense approach of Paula's Choice (and the price) and when I added the Clarisonic to the equation it really enhanced the performance of Paula's BHA pore exfoliator! Paula has several moisturizers in her arsenal, and I've enjoyed the benefits of all of them at different times of the year. For the price, it might be worth trying!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.