Chin-Up Check-In Fri, 6.2

RE: Some inspiration!

> I
>think he is talking about using one foot on the chair to raise
>up and lower down, using less of the leg on the chair as you
>progress.

That's how I do my chins/pull-ups in P90X.

My last chin try was three sets (spaced throughout the day!).

On set one and two, I was able to get one from a dead hang, followed by 6/4 (respectively) negatives using a 'power boost" (I get to the upper position by using one foot on a Firm stool (14") to kind of power up at the beginning, to get momentum to help me up, then lower to the count of 10.

Set 3, I only got to a 'mouth up' by myself, plus 4 "power boost" asssted negatives.

Still a ways to go to get to a "pinky only" rep. ;-)

> I should work on the negatives/and attempts on
>cardio days rather than on weight days? I've been doing them
>on weight days, but before I actually lift. Does that sound
>ok? Or best to do them on cardio days?
>
>I'm working on pushups too, should these be done on the same
>or different days of chin negatives?

I'm playing around with this, too.

I've been doing both the chins and the push-ups on weight days, earlier in the day befaore my workout, but I find that it's a bit too much for my trick shoulder, so I'm going to a split routine where I do back/biceps one day (and chin attempts same day) and chest/shoulders/tricps another day (and push-up attempts the same day). If I do chins and push-ups, I also have to do them far enough apart so that I have recovery to get my best reps on both. That makes for exercise spaced throughout the day (which is possible most days, since I'm not teaching this summer, and I can do them between other activities).

I personally wouldn't do them on cardio days if that means that you'll be doing a day of chins, then the next day back work. But I'm pretty careful about my shoulder, and that would be overkill for it, IMO.

personally wouldn't do them on cardio days if that means that you'll be doing a day of chins, then the next day back work. But I'm pretty careful about my shoulder, and that would be overkill for it, IMO.

Kathryn >^. .^<

Kathryn, that ^ was my thinking. I think I'll keep them both on weight days, otherwise I'd be doing working upper body essentially every day and not have enough recovery time. I'm just going to have to toughen up and get creative on how to work everything in.

So I'll be doing chin negatives/pushups with upper body tomorrow.

Is there a new check in for this week that I missed?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.