Cathe? Didyou do kickboxing workouts while pregnant?

Leela

Cathlete
Cathe -

I'm pregnant with #2, and in addition to doing your awesome step and strength tapes, I also like to do GI Jabb Kickboxing tapes (but i'm sure i'll love your kb tape the best
happy.gif
).

I know that pregnancy causes "elastin" (??) to be produced, which aids in loosening the joints so that birthing and general "growing to accomodate baby" are easier. I'm grateful to that - I had a very easy birthing experience (accidentally gave birth at home due to a super fast labor. Unfortunately baby was born with meconium aspiration induced pneumonia - but she's a healthy 18 month old now).

I would like to know if you did kb while pregnant.. and how you felt about it. I'm inclined to "Listen to my body" and do it until it feels like I should stop.

Any other forum moms do this type of workout while pregnant?!

Thanks !

Leela

Hi Leela!

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Whew, it sounds like your 18 month old was quite an experience for you. I'm glad to hear it all worked out fine.

As far as kickboxing goes, I had quite a bit of Relaxin (loosening of the joints hormone)in my system early on in my pregnancy. This caused me to lower my step height to four inches as early as 6 weeks into my pregnancy and stop all kickboxing at around 6 months. I talked the members through my classes up until 6 months, still doing very modified front kicks and all the punches with them. But the round house kick and side kicks were completely out of the question for me since they really aggrivated my round and broad ligaments (which were already naturally over stretched in the later stages of pregnancy). At 6 months I stopped kickboxing entirely and just had someone cover my class. This was mainly because as my belly grew bigger, my balance and my center of gravity shifted, making it so that even my modifications were becoming difficult.

I'm with you, just listen to your body very carefully and continue to respond to its wishes. Good Luck!

Thank you very much, Cathe

Hi -

Yes - Anjali's birth was wierd. Not what I expected. But easy compared to most women - so i'm not complaining. This time, instead of worrying about where to kennel the dog, in case labor lasts days, i'm more concerned about getting to the hospital in time
happy.gif

I appreciate your sharing your personal experiences with Relaxin. I'm sorry I got it wrong (elastin.. where did I hear that word?).

I don't recall running afoul of Relaxin with Anjali - but , then again, I certainly didn't exercise with even 1/100th the effort that you used.

I guess i'll keep kick-boxing in my workouts and remove it when it becomes obvious that that is the right thing to do. Thanks - and I can't WAIT to get your new tapes!!
happy.gif

Take care -

Leela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.