Cathe Could You Please End This Debate On Beginners And Intermediates Workouts

Dear Cathe,

I know you only have a few beginner workouts, like Basic Step, Stretching Series, and your strength workouts, FitTower.

Your intermediate Body Fusion, Low Impact Step and a tougher LoMax (Step), FitTower.

Then you have ICE, which you have intermediate. I have done the workout and it is more than intermediate. Your rating for ICE is between (7-9). The other ones are a Body Fusion, Low Impact Step and a tougher LoMax (Step) (6- 6.5).

If a person has knee problems or can't do your ICE and can only work at a 6.5 at the max what that person can do?? I know that ICE has modifications in it, but some people feel intimidated by that workout.

People love you and your workouts, but they can't work at a 7 or beyond that level and they are asking for more workouts at a 6 or 6.5 level and they are asking you for a series for intermediate of a 6 to 6.5 rating.

I have been a beginner, then an intermediate (6, 6.5) and now I can do all of your workouts. When I do your workouts some of them are not perfect like pushups, and others things, but that is why it is a challenge. I like the challenge, but others don't.

Please Cathe could you please put this question to rest. Would there ever be a beginner/intermediate series (Hiit, ICE, Fit/Spilt,etc.)?

Thank You,
Jen

Hi Jen! Thank you for sharing all of that feedback with me. There is always the possibility of me doing a DVD series specifically for beginner/intermediate level. I don’t rule any possibilities out. My next plan is to film an All Step DVD. After that I have some other DVD’s that I’m considering doing but nothing is set in stone yet. So there is always a chance for a full beginner/intermediate workout and possibly a whole workout series. Are you by chance an OnDemand subscriber? I plan to have more beginner workouts available in the future on my on demand streaming service.

Hi Cathe! Thank You for answering this questioning! Yes I am a subscriber on your Cathe On-demand as well as Cathe Live! I love your Step workouts! I call myself Stepoholic because I love them so much! But, I do your other workouts like your MMA , Kickboxing, Hiit training, Yoga, but Step is what I really love the most.

The reason why I know your eating scale is because of Cathe On-demand. You rate all of your workouts. Like Basic Step is a 5.5 and Body Fusion is 6, LoMax is 6.5, and so on. I can tell you, you are pretty accurate. When I was a beginner, I thought Basic Step was an 8, but now because I am in better shape it is a 5.5. I could do Basic Step in my sleep.

I know it is expensive it film any workouts. Even though you are a person, you are a company and you have to make a profit. I found you, by buying the little green step and it came with the Basic Step DVD. When I did the DVD, I loved it and I was hooked. But, I know the problem is finding a beginner audience. You have a more advance audience, so finding a beginner audience maybe harder. Have you done any research on beginners that you like to do your program? I know when I first started out I saw your preview DVDs and I was intimated because there was so much activity and I was like I can't do this. I was like I love Cathe, but her workouts are so overwhelming. But, now I can and I am grateful. Now, if you did your research and you find you can't make a profit, I understand. If you only have a few people that are only going to do the workout, then it doesn't make sense to create it.

Thank You for answering my

Hi Jen,

The beginner market is probably the largest segment of the exercise video market, but the question is will they buy a DVD? As a whole the DVD business worldwide for all DVDs has been in decline for 10 years, with a huge drop last year of 12% as streaming services take over. The exercise video segment is stronger than most of the other DVD categories, but it is not what it use to be. We're one of the few companies still making exercise DVDs, so we have to be careful in the projects we select for DVDs so that we get an ROI. We still think exercise DVDs will be viable for us for at least a few more years, but a lot will depend on how fast streaming technology continues to improve and how soon rural areas get access to better and faster internet.

Still, we certainly realize the need to develop new types of workouts for not only new customers, but also for customers that have been with us for many years that need and want workouts that are more joint friendly and fit their current lifestyle. The only question is will these videos be released on DVD or only Cathe OnDemand? We will just have to see how things go over the next several months and perhaps years.

Thanks again Jen for your feedback and also for understanding this situation from our perspective. I certainly respect yours and hope that I'm able to make a workout you love one day. Have an awesome day!

Dear Cathe,

Please don't misunderstand me. I love all of your workouts! I can do all of them, but my push ups, burpees, etc need work, but that is what is so awesome about your workouts, they are always challenging! If I feel I have problems with one exercise, you always have modifications. Also, you have provide your amazing Workout Blender and I can make my own workout and I have used this! I am amazed how stronger I am getting! I remember last year when I could hardly finish Lomax on no risers and now I do IMAX 3 on one risers, but still have some problems in some blasts, but that is okay!

I was just thinking of the other people out there were beginners or had health issues because I find that you are an amazing fitness instructor and I thought those people would benefit from your expertise.

I didn't realize how much time and effort it takes to do beginner/intermediate workouts. Thank you to the administrator and you for taking the time to explain.

I hope now everyone knows beginner/intermediate workouts isn't an easy thing to accomplish. We all should be grateful and thankful that we have Cathe and her support crew and staff to help us on our fitness journey! Remember that Cathe does have her Workout Blender On-demand that people can us , if her workout is to challenging. You can make your own and it is still a workout!

Thank You Cathe and Staff for Commenting on This Issue,

Jen

Hi Jen, I just want to let you know that you can always make Cathe workouts more suited for the beginner/intermediate exerciser. Of course it takes a little more thought on your part but when I started with Cathe I was an absolute beginner. No pushups, no step, no weightlifting etc. I started with Upper Body Pyramid and did VERY light weights (and yes I could barely lift a water bottle to take a drink after that first workout but I've definitely progressed!). I also shortened the workout or sometimes just did parts of it. You can always do lighter weights, lower the impact of some moves, do maybe a timesaver premix, or just simply don't quite work as hard (that is, a little less effort equals lower intensity, thus a bit easier). There are days I'm not at my best and need an easier workout day so I adhere to these ideas, listening to my body. Of course some workouts admittedly this wouldn't really work, but I think the possibilities are endless. Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.