Cardio Coach

HipChick

Cathlete
My DH & I have a nice treadmill but I rarely use it because I find it boring. I usually only use it when I'm getting back into exercise after being sick or injured. But several people here have suggested that I get a Cardio Coach & simply rave about using them. So here are my questions. First, does it matter what kind of treadmill I have? I don't remember the exact model but we got it at Sears & I think it's a Proform Spacesaver 500 series. Next, I usually order from Collage & I noticed that they carry CC 1, 2, & 4. Since I do Cathe's advanced cardio, do you think I could jump right into 4 or should I start with something else? What are your favorites? How exactly do the workouts operate? Can I use the stereo in my den or do I need to use a CD player & headphones? I don't have a set so I was hoping it would work with my stereo. Do I just make the adjustments as directed during the workout (increase or decrease the incline, speed, etc.)? Do they tell you how much to set the incline & increase your speed or do you set it according to your ability? Do you want to be "on beat", walking/jogging/running to the rhythm of the music? I've listened to samples but is there anyplace I could actually SEE one in use? Please forgive all the questions but I have absolutely no clue about Cardio Coach or even using our treadmill with all its features. I tend to use my Cathe or a few other workouts all the time (the treadmill was supposed to be for my DH but he's quit using it). TIA for any information any of you can offer!:)

Hi Kel! Hopefully I can help answer your questions. I'm a HUGE CC fan and have ALL of the workouts. :D

First of all, I assume you don't own an iPod or MP3 player? That would, of course, be the quickest and easiest way to use the workouts. But playing them right on your stereo system will work fine too. As long as you can hear it well while your treadmill is running, you'll be okay.

It doesn't matter what kind of treadmill you have, as long as it is a motorized treadmill (not self-propelled), and you can vary both speed and incline (resistance).

You don't run with the beat of the music. Run/walk at your own pace, according to your perceived exertion. The music will change tempo and intensity to get you fired up for the intervals, but you don't have to match the tempo at all. Just use the music to motivate you. :) He doesn't tell you what speed/incline to use - that's a very individual thing. Coach Sean goes by perceived exertion, or what he calls "Levels". You will have to play with your settings the first few times you do the workout to figure out what your settings are for different Levels.

As for which one to get... why don't you order directly from Cardio Coach? You'll have more choices that way. I think the Choose Living Press Play is a great one to start with because it has bits and pieces from several of the other volumes, so you get a sort of sampling of the other workouts. If you have a CD burner, you can download any of the workouts to your computer right away and burn to a disc - then you don't have to wait for CDs to ship to you.

If you're set on ordering from Collage, then I would probably go with Vol 4. It's a toughie, but a goodie. Vols 1 and 2 are a little short, and the intervals aren't as treadmill-friendly (ie, the intervals may be over before you have time to bring your speed or incline up to where you need it to be).

Hopefully this was helpful. If you have any other questions, just ask. :)

Whatever it takes to get your heart rate in the right "zone" is the right incline/resistance/speed. I did it for the first time on an elliptical today. I raised the resistance, but kept my speed pretty constant, except when I got to the Level 4 - then I had to do both. Just let your heart be your guide.

Awww...isn't that a sweet sentiment?

Thanks ladies!

Emily - Yes, you answered my questions & also offered additional information I didn't know to ask. I didn't realize you could download it directly from the Cardio Coach site & then burn it to a disc. You were right in assuming that I don't own an iPod or MP3 player too. I guess I'm in the dark ages as far as that goes.:+ The only drawback is that I would probably need to have my stereo volume up quite high in order to hear it above the treadmill noise. So you recommend the Choose Living Press Play? I'll have to go to the site & check it out. I guess I won't know exactly what it is until I try it, eh?:D Thanks so much for all the information. I just hate to have such a nice piece of equipment sitting in my basement, not being used.

Donna - Also good information & inspirational to boot!:p:7

Thanks again!:)

I would just note that doing Cathe cardios does not necessarily translate into suddenly being able to leap on the treadmill and run for 40 minutes/5 miles. Advanced cardio abilities in one sport don't mean you have the same capacity in every activity/sport. Running is one of the toughest cardio activities, so remember to start out with a run/walk program to allow your joints and muscles the chance to adapt to this different kind of intensity and impact without risking injury.

The Cardio Coach workouts are very motivating and work just as well with walking as with running, you just use speed and incline to get more intensity for the intervals/hills, etc.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.