Can I get highlights?

A

Andrea

My Fit Preg mag said it is okay to get highlights, but not to color hair. I'm 24 weeks and looking for a second opinion. Just want to be double sure.

Thanks!
Andrea

I have read that it is okay to get highlights and/or color your hair in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. However, I would ask your dr. When I was pregnant with my son, my dr said that she wouldn't recommend coloring or perming hair because they didn't really know how much of the chemicals were absorbed through your scalp and into your bloodstream. I decided not to do it because I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. I didn't breastfeed so I colored my hair a week after delivery and got a perm about 6 weeks later.

Hope this helps!

Christina

My doctor told me that it was fine to get my hair highlighted and nails "filled" since it was such limited exposure. He said the people who WORK in this environment are the ones who are truly at risk. Well, I was a little nervous so I waited until I was out of the first trimester to continue with my nails. I got my hair highlighted once during my pregnancy too. Just sharing, but ultimately you should follow the advice of your physician and go with what YOU are comfortable doing.

RE: Can I get highlights? (nm)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-00 AT 11:23AM (Est)[/font][p]:7

RE: Can I get highlights? (nm)

Hi! I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I just had my hair colored. Not just highlighted, but fully-colored. I checked with my doctor, and she said that the ACOG (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) has declared it acceptable and she also feels its fine. I also did some searching on the web, and did find the ACOG site (sorry, don't remember the address) and they did indeed say that it was fine and posed no known health risks.

That being said, I'd still check with your doctor to see what he/she says. I'm just telling you what my doc said!

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.