Can anyone tell me...

letswork

Cathlete
What is citric acid and what is it doing in my frozen fruit? I buy those big bags of frozen mixed fruit and noticed that the ingredients list all the fruits (peaches, strawberries, melon, grapes, pineapple, etc.) and then at the end there is "citric acid." Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I think the citric acid is used to keep the fruit from browning. I've heard that you can use lemon juice spritzed on fruit pies to keep them looking fresh.

Dictionary: A colorless acid, occuring in lemon, lime and pineapple juices.
I was surprised it isn't in oranges. I always knew/thought it was a natural acid in fruits but figured it was in oranges too??? Guess not!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

>Dictionary: A colorless acid, occuring in lemon, lime and
>pineapple juices.
>I was surprised it isn't in oranges. I always knew/thought it
>was a natural acid in fruits but figured it was in oranges
>too??? Guess not!

That surprises me, too. I'd think all "citrus" fruit would have "citric" acid in it. Doesn't it seem that they are named for it? My dictionary says "a tricarboxilic acid C2 H8 O7 (I can't make superscript!) occuring in cellular metabolism , obtained esp. from lemon and lime juices or by fermentation of sugars, and used as a flavoring".

It doesn't mention pinapple, but that's probably outside of the "espcailly" group. I didn't know it was also from fermentation (like lactic acid, which can be from fermentation of beets rather than from dairy).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.