Camera - Nikon or Canon?

jcm

Cathlete
Just wondering what your take on this is. We've just destroyed our 3rd digital camera - all 3 end up having some type of problem where they freeze up. Granted with 3 kids they get dropped a lot. Any suggestions? Maybe I need one of those toddler cameras ...

Jen

I've got both Canon and Nikon and like them both a lot. The Canon is the EOS Rebel. This is my nice camera that I take portraits of the kids with, etc. I also have a long lens I switch out on it that I use for far away shots like when my kids are swimming at their meets and such.

The Nikon is a Coolpix. I use this one to take places where I don't want to lug the Canon around. It's small and can fit in a pocket or bag super easily. Maybe someone else can recommend a sturdy camera, my kids don't touch my cameras so I don't know how well either one would hold up to kids using them. As far as choosing between a Canon and Nikon, they are both great, I don't think you could go wrong choosing either one :) Maybe go visit a shop that specializes in cameras (like Wolf Camera) instead of a place like Best Buy or Costco to talk to one of their reps who could recommend what type you should get based on what you would use it for.

Last edited:
I love my Nikon D3000. I think it's the beginner SLR camera. It's not too bulky either. I do have an external flash on it. I just can't seem to get the flash it came with to do much. That's probably the only negative is the flash it comes with. The external flash takes care of that but it's pretty big.

Canon and Nikon are both excellent brands, they both have models spanning the entire range of digital cameras available, and their prices are fairly competitive with each other for any given feature level. There are people who will insist that one brand or the other is better, but that's just not true. If you have very specific needs, there is probably a "best" brand, but since you don't, I would recommend going to a camera store where they will let you handle the models you're interested in and see which menu system feels more intuitive to you, which camera feels better in your hand, etc.

Freeze??? How old were the cameras? Have you tried replacing the batteries? How about a software update? Cameras have software too.

Btw, I use a Canon 20D still. It freezes when I'm in ISO mode, but is fine in auto and aperture. I wonder if you could reboot it? Also, make sure the kids didn't drop it in some water. That will kill most cameras.

Well, when I would try to go back and scroll through pics I had already taken after about two pics the screen would get all snowy, do nothing, then turn off. And honestly - I'm the one dropping it! Well, and our midwife after the birth of #3!! I may head to our local camera store expert and see. We're torn because I'd love something like a nice Canon Rebel but our cameras have had such a rough life!! The youngest is 3 now so maybe (or not) the chaos will slow down and they'll not be dropped constantly or tossed across birthing room floors!

The question of Nikon or Canon is sort of like Mac or PC. Both make excellent cameras.

I have a Canon Rebel (DSLR) and a Canon PowerShot Elph (point-and-shoot), and I'm very happy with each, but the Rebel I treat like a baby. If you have a tendency to drop them or let young children handle them, I would not invest in a DSLR.

For typical family needs, you can't go wrong with a point-and-shoot like the PowerShot or Coolpix, allowing you to capture still photos and video. I would also suggest maybe get in the habit of using the wrist strap to prevent some drops.

Good luck with your purchase!

I just bought an Olympus TG-310 and I LOVE it! Granted, it is definitely for amateur "photographers" and is a point-and-shoot, but it has video and takes decent pictures. And the best part is it's strong and is made for outdoors so if you drop it, it won't break. It can also be used in water. I'm a klutz and all of my previous cameras were shot because I dropped them so many times. Story of my life!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.