calories burned

nancymarie

Hi
Someone told me that if a person would walk a mile or run a mile you would burn the same amount of calories. It just seems to me a higher intensity workout would continue to burn calories throughout the day after you've ended your workout. Can someone help me out?? thanks nancy

No that doesn't make sense. You burn calories & fat when you increase your heartrate for an extended period of time. Seems to me your heartrate would be much higher when you're running rather than walking.

IMO walking is good for beginners & people who are seriously overweight b/c you're basically following natural body movements. Truly overweight people will get their heartrate up with walking b/c, well, it's harder when you're carrying more weight.

I just don't know that walking would be a very good cardio exercise for most of us, b/c we're in better shape than the majority of the population, our bodies have adjusted to working out, & we need something more intense.

Just a guess here...could it be that it would take a person a lot longer to walk a mile than to run a mile? The walker would be working out at a low intensity for a longer period of time rather than working out at a higher intensity for a shorter period of time like the runner. Just a thought.

Well, when I walk a mile or run a mile(based on my HR monitor), I do burn the same amount of calories(86 cals). The difference is time. You are still moving the same amount of weight but at a different intensity.

I choose to jog/run, because I can burn more calories in shorter amount of time.

With that being said, I think that I would have some extra afterburn from running.

DeannMomofThree

The fitTV web site (where I see Cathe's workouts) has a calorie burn calculator. You enter your weight and activity and it gives you the calorie burn--check it out!

Thanks Cyndi, that was interesting. I know from my reading that many "experts" feel that walking is the superior exercise. You may feel like you're working harder running, but fast walking...& especially race walking...actually uses more muscles.

I think it comes down to...which do you prefer? Cause that's the only one you're going to do! LOL

Ruth
:)

Maximus,

I'm far from a beginner, but still make walking my primary cardio exercise by using the gym treadmill with high inclines. I prefer walking to any other kind of cardio because I think it's the safest exercise, and in the 25 years I've been doing it, I have never sustained any kind of injury. I always wear a heart monitor and have no trouble keeping my heartrate in the aerobic zone. Of course, the treadmills at the gym are really amazing, and I have no idea if I could attain the same high heartrates on a home treadmill.

-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.