Calling all pregnant ladies!

candori

Cathlete
Anyone out there interested in a weekly pregnancy check-in? Since this forum is brimming with helpful and interesting people, I thought it would be great to share our experiences with each other. Personally, I think it's so nice to read about other people that might be going through the same things. Any takers? Here, I'll even start...

I'm almost finished with my first trimester...the middle of my 11th week to be exact...and I'm starting to feel much better. The yuckies hit me hard at week 8 and it's finally starting to ease up a little. I have managed to work out 3 days a week since my pregnancy began and I believe that it helps TREMENDOUSLY.

I'm doing my FIRM tapes mostly, with lighter weights than normal. I find that I get too carried away with Cathe tapes to stay in a safe heartrate zone...though there are days that I miss her enough to pop in one of her tapes and I just modify, modify, modify. Karen Voight's "Strong and Smooth Moves" and her "Personal Best" videos seem perfectly suited for safe pregnancy workouts and I've added those to my rotation too.

The eating part has definetly been the biggest challenge!!!! The morning sickness makes it tough...but I'm trying very hard to get in a few fruits and veggies wherever I can. The idea of broccoli or spinach, old favs, still make me sick. Mostly I want plain pasta with Ragu and grilled cheese.

So far, according to the doctors scale, I've gained three pounds and you can definitely see the beginnings of a pooch down there. Oh, and I saw my baby's heartbeat on the monitor last week...what a RUSH!

And I wanted to ask...does anyone have an opinion on those convertible cribs? They turn into a day bed and then a single bed as your child grows. Are they worth it? Do they work?

I hope everyone out there is doing great and is willing to join in here. I'd love to get to know you and see how you are doing.

Angela

Hi Angela! What a great idea. I hope a weekly check in works since I know I would have loved that when I was pregnant. Especially first time moms who really don't have any past experience to go by would find comfort in being able to have someone to share stories with. I must say that so far your pregnancy seems to be running the same course that mine did, as far as the weeks of having the yuckies and your current food cravings. Healthy foods simply didn't appeal to me as much as a burger and fries.

Well, I hope to be more active on these forums now that the demands of the videos have calmed down some.

Take care and enjoy every growing minute. They are not always comfortable but when they are over there are days when you actually miss being pregnant (ack, don't throw eggs at me :-wow)

Count me in!

I just found out I'm pregnant. I should be completing week 5 Friday. With my daughter (my 2nd child) I pushed way too hard and ended up not being able to exercise after the 20th week :( I would put in my Cathe videos and just watch them though. It worked, my daughter LOVES Cathe!

I think a weekly check in is a great idea. Glad you thought of it!!

Littlest one due on February 22, 2002

Hi Angela-
Count me in! I am entering my 27th week of my first pregnancy! I too suffered bad morning sickness that lasted all day in my first trimester. I feel for you on the food part.. Potato chips and vanilla wafers were my foods of choice. Fortunately, that does go away and you will be able to eat cleaner again.

I love this forum.. it sure is nice to hear what other fit women are doing as far as exercise in their pregnancy. I have been a Cathe fan from her very early video beginning and have continued to use most of her tapes throughout my pregnancy. Of course, I have been modifying. I feel terrific knowing that by continuing an exercise regimen I am doing good things for my baby as well as myself.

As far as the convertible crib thing.. From what I hear, if you are planning on more children, you should probably just buy a regular crib so that you can use it for the next one. I have also heard that you are paying for the ability to convert from crib to bed, and not really paying for quality. However, I do not know from personal experience.. this is just what other moms have told me... don't shoot the messenger!

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
Lynn

RE: Count me in!

Hello,
Yes! I would love to take part in a weekly check-in. I am about 10 1/2 weeks pregnant with my second child, due Jan. 21, 2001. It would be great to get more support. During the 1st pregnancy it seems like there was support all over with classes. It doesn't seem like there is as much after the 1st.
I am still battling the sickness and the fatigue that goes along with the first trimester. Luckily my mornings are usually when I feel my best. That is when I prefer to exercise and can give energy to my 2 year old son.
I am also completely nauseated by the thought of most veggies. I normally eat a fair amount. Also I am craving foods I never usually eat. If I like a food today, I will hate it tomarrow. My fridge is basically empty because I have been buying very small quantities.
As for workouts, I have cut down a little on the length and intensity for cardio. As for strength training, I am still using Cathe tapes but I have lessened my weight a little. Also, instead of working out 6 straight days in a row, I have been working out 4 days on and then 1 day off.
I am taking daily naps when my son naps. My house is a wreck right now but I decided I won't let it bother me until this fatigue starts subsiding.
Well, I didn't mean to get so long winded.
I will be excited to hear about what others say.
Erika
P.S. If anyone is interested, log on to BabyCenter.com and you can sign up for a weekly email with an update of how your baby is developing.

It has been a really loooong time since I posted, but recent career changes have allowed me more time to do the things I enjoy, especially working out. I think a weekly check in is a great idea.

I am in my 24th week with my 2nd pregnancy (due 10/22/01), but first child. Having miscarried on my first pregnancy at 11 weeks, I was pretty tentative this time, but so far this has been a perfect pregnancy. I had an ultrasound 3 weeks ago and I definitely have a boy!

I didn't work out at all for the first 12 weeks because the fatigue and demands at work were just too much. But, I have been back on track with about 3 cardios per week and 2 strength.

For cardio, I have been using all of Cathe's step tapes and especially the step tapes from CTX. These are the perfect length for me. I am also still running once a week and try to work in some kickboxing. Strength work has pretty much been with MIS.

I credit working out with allowing me to be able to continue the regular physical demands of my living and working on a farm.

For any of you who haven't read Birgitta Gallo's "Expecting Fitness," this book was my major motivator to make a serious commitment to exercising through this pregnancy. It was also a great source to relieve my husband's fears about my activity level and to help him understand why I place such a high emphasis on being fit.

I look forward to checking in next week,

Best wishes to all of you

I'll join in too!

Hi everyone! I don't post very much, but I'm an avid lurker! ;-)

I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but I've taken two home pregnancy tests and both have been very positive! I have a dr. appt. to confirm my pregnancy on July 9, but I am pretty sure that I am!

This is our first pregnancy and we're very excited! In fact, yesterday was our 4th wedding anniversary and I wrapped up the pregnancy test and gave it to him for a gift! He unwrapped it, looked at it with this very confused look on his face, stared at it without saying anything for what seemed like forever, and finally looked at me and said "YOU"RE PREGNANT?" I nodded yes and we hugged and cried. I'll never forget that moment!

This was our first real attempt to get pregnant and we are both a little shocked that we were lucky the first time! For some reason I thought that it would take longer. I did purchase that ClearPlan ovulation predictor and I guess it really worked!

I plan to continue to exercise and am wondering how much I should cut down now! For example, if I work out on an 8 inch step should I immediately cut down to 6 inches? What about running? I jog about 3 miles a couple of times a week. Should that stop? I feel fine right now, since it's still so early in the pregnancy. The only thing that really bothers me is how sore my breasts have become. I think I will have to invest in some new "more constrictive" sports bras!

Thanks for letting me share and I'll let you know what my doctor says! :)

RE: I'll join in too!

Congratulations!

I also took 2 home pregnancy tests and go to the Dr on the 9th to confirm. Since I already have 2 I know that I am :D Plus, the home pregnancy tests are just like the Dr's office so if you have 2 positives, you are :D

I love how you told your hubby. I got teary eyed.

So it looks like you and I will be pregnant together. Cool :-jumpy

Mommy to Zachary, Jillian and.......
Littlest one due on February 22, 2002

I'm up for it! :)

I'm 10 weeks due January 25th with my 2nd child. My daughter, Maya, will be 2 y.o. in July. I've lacked so much energy this 1st trimester that exercising has been so spotty. I'm lucky if I even think about putting on some workout gear. The lack of exercise makes me feel like I've gained 10 lbs when I've probably only gained 1/2 lb (OK, maybe 2 lbs). I'm looking forward to the 2nd trimester. Haven't had too many food aversions unlike my 1st pregnancy. However, I do crave junky foods which drives me nuts. I hope to get back to healthy eating and exercise soon!

-Melanie

Hi Wendy!

I am soooo excited for you! How wonderful. I can relate with some of your happiness because we just received our 1st. grandchild this month! How fun~the way you shared your pregnancy with your hubby! Good Luck with everything including your workouts. Also, you might want to consider wearing two jog bras and see if that helps til you get out to buy something else. Keep us posted!!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)"If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!"

You guys are making me want another child. We have three 6,5,2 and are debating on the 4th. I am alittle scared that I wont be able to handle it. But, i dont want to regret not having another one too!!! I guess I get alittle stingy with my time, I mean we are able to go to the pool and enjoy vacations with them since they are getting older and if we had another, it would be like we are starting all over again. OK guys I need ya'll to talk me into it (HE HE HE). Have a great day!!!

Jennifer

Happy to join: I'm at 31.5 weeks right now

Expecting my second (and last child) daughter.

Haven't worked out much the last few weeks. I had gastroentris. Then got better. Then DD got it. Then I got a bad cold.

Sigh.

But i'd love to check in, even with the meagre working out i'm doing righit now.

As far as convertible cribs/etc - we never even used a crib! We inherited our crib (hardly used) from big brother, but like his family, ours ended up doing the family bed thing.

But it sounds like a neat concept..

Leela

Hi Angela,
I had our daughter, Shelby, on May 9th of this year so consider me a recently pregnant mom!! My husband and I were looking for a crib and I finally found it in a magazine - my dream crib! The website is www.babysdream.com and you will find the Generation crib. It is a convertible crib and is absolutely beautiful if you like the style. Of all the cribs we looked into, this by far was the most sturdy and well made. Since Shelby is only two months, we obviously have not converted it to the toddler or double bed. My husband is quite mechanically inclined and thought with the directions it was quite easy to change from one level to another. Hope this information helps. We also found that for the price of a sturdy, well made but nonconvertible crib, this one was well worth the money (around $600) considering that she can use it for all her growing up years!

Latecia

RE: Happy to join: I'm at 31.5 weeks right now

Leela - I know we've talked before, but what is your actual due date? I'm right about 31.5 weeks as well. My date is Aug. 30th. How have you been feeling? I've been feeling pretty good, tired, but good. I've actually been managing some Leslie Sansone workouts and I just bought the Denise Austin shortcuts (upper body). Despite her being annoying I really like the workout.

Talk to you soon,
Sue

Hi! We are due a day apart! I am 8/31.

I'm expecting to go early though - it runs in the family. Mom had hers at 33 wks (42 yrs ago!), 36 wks, 37 wks. I had Anjali at 36 wks. My sister had her baby at 37 wks. (We also have super-speedy-can't make it to the hospital in time labors!)

I've been feeling okay. I keep getting SICK - my daughter carries germs home from daycare and I get everything. So i'm just recovering from a really bad cold. Otherwise though, the pregnancy itself hasn't been so tough. Today is the first day in a long while that i've felt pregnant-uncomfortable - like my breath is cut off. This was a rapid baby grow week - according to the site www.pregnancycalendar.com, the baby grew about 1/2 lb this week.

I'm glad you are still working out - impressed by that. Me -i ts just been yoga - because it is all I can get the energy up for, and still keep up with the toddler.

>body). Despite her being
>annoying I really like the
>workout.

Cool! Is she still all that annoying, or has she toned it down?

>
>Talk to you soon,
>Sue

Hang in there Sue - we are ALMOST THERE!

Leela

RE: Hi! We are due a day apart! I am 8/31.

I remember the story about your last birth! I'm sure you'll go before me!

Actually, Denise Austin isn't as annoying as usual, it's just that deer in the headlights look she always has!

Take care, we are almost there!

Sue

:). Just hoping to get to the hospital this time ...

But if I don't - I won't give birth on any carpeting this time! I'll try to lay down comforters - easier to clean or replace :)

We are almost there!!! YAY!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.