Calling all golfers...

H

honeybunch

My oldest son (30...yikes!) is a golf pro at a local golf club, and he gave me my first lesson yesterday. I know, I live on a golf course and he has been golfing since high school, but I was never motivated to learn.

NOW that I'm a PT, and trying to find my niche, I thought training golfers might be good. I found that it's all in the swing. We are going to work on some exercises for the major golfing muscles, and will incorporate rubber resistance tubing, with should be available to everyone, plus the cable machines at the Y. Spri products has a "Golf Gym." I can always count on Spri!

So, we figured we need to work the abs (obliques especially), back (lats, especially), shoulders, and legs. FLEXIBILITY is key, obviously, too. There are exercises in his PGA Teaching Manual, and I'm sure we can get some from Golf Digest.

This may work out good...he can send me students, and I can send him students! Win-win, right?

Any suggestions from you educated golfing folk?

hi honeybunch:

You may want to check out the International Fitness Professionals Association website. They offer a continuing education course called Golf and Exercise.

www.ifpa-fitness.com
Go to certifications and then continuing education.

I live in a community in Florida (west coast, by Sarasota) that is heavy into golfing and we have several trainers here who have a very good practice working with golfers. (Particularly the older crowder who are taking up the sport for the first time and are not exactly in good shape to start with.)

I do know the most common sports injury in golfing is a rotator cuff injury.

I received my PT certification through IFPA and even though I live in a "retirement town" I am specializing in fitness for children. (Florida actually has few kids living here!)

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Debbie Russo

Great info! I knew this would be the place to come for my answers, as always!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.