building muscles like cathe's

nightowl81

Cathlete
I know most of us would like to look like Cathe..but seriously, besides body fat %, how would a woman put on that type of muscle? I assume Cathe doesn't workout hours a day like a bodybuilder would since she has kids and is probably busy teaching classes, making new workouts for us, etc... Is it supplements? diet? Whats the secret for a woman to put on muscle like that (and I mean it in a good way, I want to have that type of muscle!).

I think Cathe was born w/some amazing genetics. Also depends on your body type--ecto, endo, or meso.

Building muscle like that is different for every person, IMO. I have a very small frame & no matter how much I lift, I don't really gain size, just muscle density. But the bottom line is, you have to find the right routine for your body type.

Also I think Cathe's talent & creativity enables her to vary her routine frequently & keep those muscles guessing, so she probably doesn't plateau like the average woman.

Anyway, I don't want to put words in Cathe's mouth so to speak, but I'm guessing these are at least some of the factors. And the discipline to work her butt off for the last 25 years or so. ;)

Plenty of healthy protein, good fats, years and years of training. The low body fat percent makes it visible.

I personally am quite capable of putting on plenty of muscle. Its the body fat I haven't gotten rid of yet.:eek:

Plenty of healthy protein, good fats, years and years of training. The low body fat percent makes it visible.

I personally am quite capable of putting on plenty of muscle. Its the body fat I haven't gotten rid of yet.:eek:

My problem too! I have great muscle under a layer of protective fat!! :eek:

I was also going to add that it takes time to get Cathe's muscles. If you look at her earlier DVDs she certainly doesn't have the amount of muscle she has in STS!

I think that is a testament to us all that we need to be patient with our bodies.

What Laura said.

In addition, she likely does her own weight work in addition to the classes she teaches, the filming and rehearsals for dvds, and road trip activity. I have noticed in other posts, she also keeps a very clean diet.

I can't put on the bulk, I'm an ectomorph and have very low body fat. I have good definition and eat a very clean diet with lots of protein. But I really can't eat the number of calories that would be required for me to bulk up. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to have to maintain that. Too expensive at the grocery store!

I know most of us would like to look like Cathe..
Why would you assume most of us would like to look like Cathe...and not the best 'us' we can be (which, depending on our body type or personal preference, may not be just like Cathe.;))

Hard work and GENETICS. I'm 5'8" - I would never get that kind of definition. I have much longer muscle bellies, so would never get the "pop" that Cathe has. Completely depends on your body type, your genetics, etc.

I agree with everyone has said here. Most of the people in my immediate family are either tall or plump. No one in my family is a thin person. Like a couple of ladies have mentioned, I can feel my muscles but they are under layers of fat and right now I'm just trying to tone up. I will probably not look like Cathe but that probably wouldn't work on my body frame.

I want to look like the best me I can possibly be and maintain that :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.