Buffalo meat...ever try it?

exer_cited

Cathlete
Hi everyone!

We are going to a restaurant tonight that is primarily an upscale burger joint. In addition to beef burgers, they serve buffalo burgers, ostrich burgers and veggie burgers and grilled chicken.

I'm curious about what buffalo tastes like.

Anybody out there ever try it?

We always choose ostrich and buffalo over regular beef. They have less fat so if you do try them, ask for them to be cooked medium or they will be like rubber.

Thanks everyone!

I'm definetly leaning towards the buffalo vs. the ostrich. I think I'll go for it. Thanks for the tip on having it cooked medium.

Now I can't wait for the look on DH's face when I order a buffalo burger!!!

Buffalo is good and very good for you. It is always grass fed and is much leaner than beef. You might find that it has a little "wilder" taste than beef, but not a huge difference.

I prefer buffalo to ground beef, they have buffalo medallions that I buy from our local store, and throw 'em on my Foreman Grill, excellent.

I just had this great vision of my favorite meal in Disney World at Artist Point..they make a Buffalo Sirloin that you could cut with a fork!!

FYI...to really enjoy buffalo, get it as rare as you can.

I buy bison all the time. It's very similar to beef. The only difference is in the cooking. Bison has less fat and can dry out pretty fast on the grill.

Ostrich tastes good too. I'm not sure how I would describe it. Most like ground chicken, with a hint of game.

My health food store carries bison. I have to buy ostrich online. It's pricey!!!

my grocery store carries it and I buy ground bison instead of beef. I haven't noticed any difference in taste. I still buy some beef though at times. Someone told me once that it was more healthy so I tried it and have used it many times since.

I just got back and had to post to say how much I loved the buffalo burger.

As far as taste compared to beef, I didn't really notice any difference in taste other than I thought it taste better. That could very well be because I knew it was better for me, though.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!

Funny you should ask this. We just has bison for the first time tonight. It tasted just like beef to me. I know we will be getting it again.

Shayne

Have had buffalo many many moons ago in Colorado. But lately we have purchased some buffalo sausage from a close to local meat market. I enjoy the taste though it isn't much different.

Glad you ventured out and tried something new ! :9

It tasted exactly what steak tasted like when I was a little girl. Before they pumped cattle full of steroids and pretty much bred the flavor out of the meat. A guy at work brought a bison steak in for me to try and I thought it was good but not even worth what they were charging.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.