Breastfeeding and interval workouts...

giacchina

Can I do interval workouts while breastfeeding? I thought I read somewhere that the breastmilk will taste unpleasant to the baby because of excess lactic acid, but I can't remember where I read it or when. I was wondering if Sheila or Cathe could enlighten me on the "real" scoop.

Hello,

The following is a quote from my "Healthy Moms Perinatal Fitness Instructor Training Manual:"

Lactic Acid, Exercise and Breastmilk

Studies now show that regular, sustained and vigorous aerobic exercise at moderate to high intensity does not alter the quality or quantity of breastmilk. Unless exercise intensity is very high (above the anaerobic threshold), there is little change in lactate levels in either maternal blood or breastmilk.

In other words you should be fine to nurse after your vigorous workout. For example, Healthy Moms runs four high intensity "Powerstroll" classes each week. After each class, almost all of our nursing moms feed their babies. I have never seen a baby get "tuned off" by the breastmilk of a mom who has just finished one of our stroller fitness classes.

Thanks for the info...I was bumming out thinking I wouldn't be able to do interval workouts while I was breastfeeding - I'm going to try to breasfeed for a year. That's a long time to go with no intervals...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.