BMR (?)

*~Jessica~*

Cathlete
I wasn't quite sure where to post this. I was wondering what the BMR is on the w/o manager,what it means AND where it should be at? I have not seen this before and well........I'm not real sure if the number that is reading on my calendar profile is correct. it seems awful high :eek:

BMR can be deceiving because there are a lot of things it doesn't take into account. I am 5' 3", I weight about 133# but it's because I have a lot of muscle. Well because BMR does not take my muscle into consideration, my BMR is at the very high end of healthy. I teeter at the edge of being over weight according to my BMR and I know this simply is not true. If I had no muscle I would say ok, yes, definitely but this is not the case. That being said, don't get yourself too worked up about it. I'm sure you are just fine! ;)

ETA:: LMAO! I just read MidgetDogg's response and realized my mistake. I was thinking BMI not BMR. DUH. Sorry! I'm totally off in left field this morning. Disregard my response completely! LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's the number of calories your body burns just to keep functioning (breathing, digesting, etc) with no activity whatsoever on your part. So... if you were say... Charlie Bucket's Grandma Georgina - that's how many calories you would need to stay alive in that bed that you never leave. (My daughter is in the school play production of Willie Wonka in case your wondering). Because my weight and height is so small, my BMR is like 1100 calories, but you really shouldn't go lower than 1200. Then you've got your TDEE, which is the number of calories you're burning including the activity you do during the day.

Cathe has a whole article on it somewhere in her Blog. It really is just a guide, because like Fit Mommy says, it's dependent on a lot of things. One person who is 5'3" and 133# may have a much higher metabolism because of muscle mass and/or genetics than someone the same size.

You guys are so AWESOME!!! I was beginning to feel embarrassed for asking:eek: Now I understand more clearly between what you AND cathe have written, it makes sense to me! thanks again...you guys are becoming my own personal....coach! lol :) :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.