Binge Reading: New Rules of Lifting

dmerz

Cathlete
This weekend I binge read three of the books in the New Rules of Lifting "series" ending with "Strong" the latest release by Lou Schuler, Alwyn Cosgrove. The programs in "Supercharged" and "Strong" look really good. (Actually Supercharged lays out a template and you build your own program!) They seem to be in a STS type style (endurance, then Hypertrophy) with focus on full body workouts. I also like how they add in abs (at the beginning) Has anyone done any of these programs? (NRoL for Women, Supercharged?) Results?

A pretty decent gym set up. Dumbells, Barbell, Bands, Bench. A squat rack, pull up bar, and suspension trainer depending on which exercises you choose at various points. I think you could do it w/o the squat rack or pull up bar if you had heavy enough dumbells. The last phases of the program have you working in a 5 rep max range which could require some heavy iron I'm thinking.

I love nrolfw. I agree it's one of those binge read books. I haven't done the exact plan as written in the book, but my workouts are very similar (a big lift, then some accessory work).

Is the new book worth buying? Is there much new content in it?

I checked the first 2 (NROL for Women, NROL Supercharged) out from the library and ended up buying "Strong". I think the message and content is very similar and felt I only needed to own one. Some new exercises in Strong (some of them are disc/valslide moves very similar to LWF2) and updated explanations and benefits of the moves. After looking through the three books and the programs laid out in the three I do think Strong is the one I'm going to do as it seems to be the best next step for me (working to a 5RM, etc). If you have one of the previous books I would say see if you can check it out free (Library, Amazon Prime) to see the updated programs but the exercise glossary is similar enough you can refer back to one of the first ones for the moves.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.