Beware of credit card fraud!

Shantabulous

Cathlete
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I just found out that my credit card info was stolen. The last purchase I made online was from Collage Video. I can only presume that this is where the person got my info from. Just a reminder, especially with the holiday season and lots of online buying going on, that everyone should be extra careful and make sure their purchases are on a trusted, secure site.

I wanted to add that I had this problem last year except I hardly ever used the card whose info was stolen. When I spoke to the cc company they told me that it really doesn't matter if you use it online or not. Random numbers are put in until something clicks and that's it. They gave me a refund immediately and problem resolved. But I just wanted to say that where or even if you used it often has no bearing on it's being stolen.

I wanted to add that I had this problem last year except I hardly ever used the card whose info was stolen. When I spoke to the cc company they told me that it really doesn't matter if you use it online or not. Random numbers are put in until something clicks and that's it. They gave me a refund immediately and problem resolved. But I just wanted to say that where or even if you used it often has no bearing on it's being stolen.

I second the above. Last year Capital One called very early in the morning around 5:30 am to ask if I made a purchase from Swarovsky Crystal for $700.00 their reason for calling is because it hasn't been active for a couple of months. I said No, I absolutely did not make that purchase and the customer service rep said that they suspected that it wasn't an authorized charge but just wanted to double check. They immediately reversed the charge, cancelled the card and re-issued another credit card for me.

...Cheryl

Yea, I got an email saying there was irregular activity on my card. There was a small purchase for $20.01 in Alabama..I live in Indiana! Often the person who stole the number will make a small purchase to see if it raises any flags, then move on to bigger items. Needless to say, my card was immediately canceled and they are send me a new one via fed ex since it is almost black friday!! Just a bummer because I have a lot of automated payments that get charged to that card. Now I have to set them up with the new card. A little price to pay, though.

I've heard that more CC numbers are stolen through in-person transactions (cashiers making duplicates of the number, or even using a device to clone all the info) than online.

Just this past weekend, my car was broken into (sitting in my driveway, when I was home, but I didn't hear it). The front-passenger window was shattered, and a purse I had under a coat on the passenger's seat was stolen , with my credit cards, checkbook, driver's licence, AARP card.... so things could be worse. :-(

Mine was stolen last year. Someone tried to purchase 2 airline tickets to some Middle Eastern country!! Like poster said, they tried something small and then went for the big one. Luckily, the credit card company declined the transaction and contacted me.

Regina

A couple of years ago, someone stole mail from my mailbox. Unfortunately, a Best Buy credit card for which I had applied a couple of weeks earlier happened to arrive on that day. I did not even know the card was "out there." It was used at two different BB stores in this city to the tune of about $3200. I got a call from a detective on a Sunday evening a week or so later asking me if I had made purchases at this store, which I had not, and that is how I found out about it. The thieves apparently used the card until it reached its limit and the very next night came into the same BB store and tried to use someone else's card. An argument with the clerk ensued, but they got away before the police got there. Anyway, BB eventually wrote off the amount, but it took me several months to get it done--filing police reports, sending affidavits, several phone calls, etc. Even though I live in a relatively safe neighborhood where there is very little crime, this happened to me. I now have a locked mailbox.

I have also been told that waiters and waitresses can get your cc info if you use a card in a restaurant. I'm sure most of them are honest, but the few who aren't can cause big problems for you.

Speaking of waiters/waitresses, I had a waitress at Biaggi's Italian Restaurant double charge me for lunch on Mother's Day. When I checked my account online a couple of days later, I noticed it and received an immediate refund from my bank.

A couple of months ago, a handful of employees at a local fast food restaurant (of course they didn't give out the restaurant's name on the news) were using one of those devices at the drive thru window to snipe your credit card info and use it for themselves. They would run the card through their device then the legitimate device. Thanks to several customers from one local bank reporting the theft within a 24 hour period, they were caught.

Don't ever let your credit card out of your sight.

Funny you mention that today. A lady at work had her info stolen, she got an alert from her bank - low balance. Someone was using her info to install Dishnetwork. Not sure if at their house or a friends, but way to bring the police knocking on your door.

She spent all day messing with it, and left early to go to the bank and also do a police report.

I feel awful for her.

Nan

I've heard that more CC numbers are stolen through in-person transactions (cashiers making duplicates of the number, or even using a device to clone all the info) than online.

Just this past weekend, my car was broken into (sitting in my driveway, when I was home, but I didn't hear it). The front-passenger window was shattered, and a purse I had under a coat on the passenger's seat was stolen , with my credit cards, checkbook, driver's licence, AARP card.... so things could be worse. :-(

Oh Kathryn, I'm really sorry, that's really terrible and scary.

Sorry, I know this is a very old thread, just thought I'd bring a couple of things up in case anyone reads this again. I worked for the second-largest international bank in the world for three years in their credit card division. Far and away, the worst and largest fraud and abuse cases I worked with were from people who had their credit cards (or entire identity) stolen by family members, caretakers, and/or friends in their own homes. Oftentimes the people who committed the crimes got access to the person's actual credit cards, old bills, mail, their Social Security card, etc. They'd get access to papers or cards in unlocked file cabinets, drawers, and so on...and that was that. :( Please don't discount people that live with you and/or come into your own home being a major source of risk, including maintenance workers. Over and over again, people known personally by the victims were the culprits of these crimes. I know it's challenging to look at your own house as a place needing to be such a fortress, but your own home can be your weakest link when it comes to identity theft. Yes, credit card fraud and abuse does happen due to external use, but internal theft is incredibly common.

Sadly, one of the biggest identity theft and fraud/abuse problems are with the elderly. Write down ALL of your wishes regarding finances, healthcare, and everything else you can think of, formally. Lock up important papers with your attorney (the best bet) or at least in a safety deposit box or a waterproof, fireproof, heavy combination safe. Mailboxes that lock, where the Postal Service must use a key to put mail in are best, but I realize that's not an option available to everyone. Pick a responsible person to handle your financial affairs in the event of your incapacitation, with logic ruling your choice and not emotion. Be very careful in who you elect as your power of attorney and executor of your will in your old age. Sorry if this sounds overly strong in verbiage, but I have seen so many older people taken advantage of in the business and in my personal life. They will pick a "favorite" child to run their affairs in old age...not their most responsible child. (Bad idea.) Their life savings and good credit built up over decades can be torn down in a matter of months. Prepare for the worst while you're still as young, clearheaded, and healthy as you can get. If you can afford to do so, prepare your affairs with the help of an attorney. Research what paperwork is needed to handle your affairs should negative events occur (having a stroke, needing to go into a nursing home, being in an accident that leaves you in a coma, etc.), and fill it out now. It's not being negative to do this, it's being practical and prepared. Get it witnessed, signed, notarized as soon as possible- do whatever is needed to protect your financial assets from harm, which also helps protect your heirs. Don't put it off! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.