Best shoe for high impact?

jag2

Hi,

I have been using Ryka for a while and am interested in buying another pair, but what I'm using has been discontinued. I'd like something for high impact, but the Rykas I see online mostly have low ankles. Don't I need ankle support for all Cathe's high impact workout?

I'd really appreciate a recommendation for a good workout shoe for high impact workouts, as well as whether or not the sizing runs big or small.

Thanks!
Anna

Hi Anna - I have a pair of the high ankled Rykas (I'm not a fan of the high ankles - it just bothered me, though it does give a lot of support for weak ankles, which I have). Anyways, I am selling my pair (size 8) on ebay - eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices if you are interested (if you happen to be that size)

I just bought a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus 12 (size 8W) on sale on Amazon, and they feel pretty dang good, but I also just purchased a pair of Nike Free Run+2 this morning (size 8.5 b/c I hear Nikes run a little small) from Zappos and will decide between the two which is the most comfortable for my weird feet (high arches, very high instep, wide forefoot, somewhat narrow heel, which means I can wear anywhere from a size 6.5 (if it's EE) to an 8.5 (if it's normal width) and makes online shoe shopping an interesting experience! I don't know if these shoes offer the support you might need, however.

Last edited:
i have Ryka X 2 running shoes. there are good and bad reviews but it depends on what kind of foot you have. i love them. i have high arch thou not over prognated. i could not jump rope until i bought these and the burning pain in my foot-ligament-has stopped. i also use them at work which is sales floor.they are roomy at the toe,wide, and cushy underneath.

laura

I love my Asics Gel Nimbuses for Cathe Impact work. I'm short, over weight, have wide feet, and fairly good arches. I do yoga to maintain my arches/foot strength.

Another vote for Asics Gel. I feel like I'm walking on clouds:)
I have high arches and a wide foot, although I don't need a "wide" in Asics... I think it's because they give a bit with the mesh.

An update: I just got the Nike Free Run + 2 today, and they are also super duper comfortable! I'm having a VERY hard time deciding between the Asics Gel Nimbus and these Free Runs. The Nike are more flexible, and I feel like my foot can move around more and has greater range of motion, but the Asics are also comfortable and offer more support. They both seem to make the bottom of my feet burn, though, after wearing them for awhile. (I wonder why? My feet don't burn in regular shoes, just athletic...maybe the inserts that they come with?)

asics gel intensity are what made my foot burn really bad. the nimbus i thought was too cushy. my foot no longer burns after changing shoes.

laura

asics gel intensity are what made my foot burn really bad. the nimbus i thought was too cushy. my foot no longer burns after changing shoes.

laura

:eek:

Yikes!

I wear Asics Gel Intensity - and have been experiencing painful cramping in my arch. Just pointing my toe during leg lifts will set it off. Do the Ryka 2 running shoes allow for lateral movement?

An update: I just got the Nike Free Run + 2 today, and they are also super duper comfortable! I'm having a VERY hard time deciding between the Asics Gel Nimbus and these Free Runs. The Nike are more flexible, and I feel like my foot can move around more and has greater range of motion, but the Asics are also comfortable and offer more support. They both seem to make the bottom of my feet burn, though, after wearing them for awhile. (I wonder why? My feet don't burn in regular shoes, just athletic...maybe the inserts that they come with?)

I own both pairs and definately could not do high impact with the Nikes. There is no enough support for me.

the Ryka Assist x2 shoes felt weird for lateral movements at first but after wearing them a couple of times i have no prob doing Insanity. the first couple of times i wore them at work there was pain in my ankle but that has gone away. i guess i needed to wear them out first.
fixing to buy more!
laura

The Nike Free are super comfie. I use mine almost exclusively for kickbox.

the Ryka Assist x2 shoes felt weird for lateral movements at first but after wearing them a couple of times i have no prob doing Insanity. the first couple of times i wore them at work there was pain in my ankle but that has gone away. i guess i needed to wear them out first.
fixing to buy more!
laura

Thanks for responding Laura,

I looked at the tread on Amazon and Zappos. The Ryka's certainly don't look as sticky/grippy as my Nike Zoom running shoes are. I would never be able to wear the Zooms for step workouts. Have you used your Ryka Assist x2 for a step workout?

Anna, thanks for the thread.

My poor little feet need new shoes and I didn't realize it until now.
:D

Last edited:
also,if they don't work with step you can always use them as walking/runniung shoes.i always buy my shoes at Zappos because the return is so easy.

laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.