Baking question - White Cake

Nobuko

Cathlete
Hello everyone, I'd really appreciate if someone would answer my question... I love baking and I've been trying to find a recipe for a white cake. Every single recipe I've tried doesn't give me the texture I've been looking for. I like very fluffy white cake, just like Betty Crocker's BOX CAKE MIX. But I just don't like to use the cake mix.... I want to make it from scratch just like I bake everything else from scratch. So far, all white cake recipes I've found came out to be a lot more on a dense side..... Does anyone know why these box cake mix comes out soooo fluffy???? What is the secret ingridents???

This is the recipe I use for all cakes. It doctors up boxed so it does not taste boxed.:) I sculpt shapes, and this holds up because it's super moist. I get a ton of compliments on all my cakes. Start with Duncan Hines brand, it's the best.

Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes

Serves/Yields: 2-9in rounds or 1-9X13 or 1 moulded cake
Prep. Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30-35 min
Category: Cake Mix Cakes, Pound Cakes, Yellow Cakes, Birthday Cakes
Difficulty: Easy
title_introduction.gif
This cake is moist yet very durable and will hold up to many shapes and designs. It is light in taste and stays moist if making a day or two ahead.
title_ingredients.gif
1 Duncan Hines Yellow (or White) cake mix
4 egg whites
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 small pkg of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
title_directions.gif
Preheat oven to 350

Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed.

Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient.

Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes

Here is a White recipe from scratch.

White Cake
stars-5.gif
Serves/Yields: 12-24
Prep. Time: 15
Cook Time: 35
Category: White Cakes
Difficulty: Easy
title_introduction.gif
I like to get everything out and ready before turning on the oven (to save energy). Using the bake-even strips makes for a beautiful cake.
title_ingredients.gif
3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
title_directions.gif
Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl; add 3/4 cup buttermilk and blend until just combined. Add room temperature butter, blend slowly, then blend on medium speed for 90 seconds. Add eggs and vanilla to remaining buttermilk. Add buttermilk mixture to batter in two batches, blending on low until just combined. Pour into prepared 9x13" pan or 2 - 8" round and 1 - 6" round pans. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes.

I always doctor up cake mix recipes too since it is very hard (IMO) to get a light cake from scratch. It's all in the technique of whipping the eggs, and folding in the flour. I took some pastry arts classes and even with chef supervision, we couldn't always get our cakes to come out light. A good book for doctoring up cake mixes is the The Cake Doctor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.