Bakers cyst

sme702

Cathlete
Anyone ever have a Bakers Cyst? I have one behind my right knee and its painful! If you had one - did it require surgery to aspirate it or did yours go away eventually? And how long do these last?? Ouch!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Anyone ever have a Bakers Cyst? I have one behind my right knee and its painful! If you had one - did it require surgery to aspirate it or did yours go away eventually? And how long do these last?? Ouch!

Years ago, I had a cyst in my wrist. It was there forever. My dad being the comedian he was, told me to smack it with a very heavy book. Didn't do that. Even asked my physician about it, he just shrugged it off. I was playing basketball with friends one day, don't know if it was hit, or what happened, but it broke. Hurt like the devil when it broke, but never returned. I realize this has not been helpful, but occasionally they do take care of themselves. Ask your physician, they may want to aspirate it. Mine would come, and go. There were times it was very prominent, and painful. Other times, I couldn't see it, and it didn't bother me.

Last edited:
Yeah, thats a ganglion cyst. The Bakers one is caused by arthritis build up in the joint and the synovial fluid builds up in a pocket in the back of the knee.
Not sure what the other cyst is caused from. My husband had one too for about a year. He played a game of volleyball one day and it broke on its own also!
I have options with the Bakers, just wanted opinions from others whose had it.

Hahaha! No worries. Opinions on all cysts welcomed here ☺

Probably not helpful but I had one but also had a torn miniscus. I had surgery. From what I was under the impression sometimes they can resolve themselves. Some have said they are very painful. I am not even real sure if my surgery was completely the right thing because with care they sometimes mend without surgery. Referring to the torn miniscus. It has taken almost 2 years to get back to some heavier weights and some jumping. I am more careful than I was prior to the injury. Recovery time could have been due to my having arthritis in the knee as well.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I have had one in my left knee due to arthritis. My cyst dissolved on its own, but I know many people who need to get them drained. Mine took about 3 weeks to dissolve, it was pretty uncomfortable to walk or bend my knee during that time. They will reappear if the arthritis gets irritated, so i am pretty careful about only doing low impact exercises. If yours doesn't go away soon I would go get it drained, you will feel so much better.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.