Bad lighting - does this happen to everyone?

JulieL

Cathlete
Listen I know I'm not the fittest, thinnest, perfect glowing skin gal there is. Usually I've come to grips with my imperfections and have moved on. I think I am more a normal than not, but then I try some clothes on in the fitting room and there it is the mirror and my image in the worst lighting ever. I mean it showed bumps in my skin I didn't even know where there. I started the day feeling so great about myself, seeing my muscles finally start to pop out and feeling more endurance than I have since before I got pregnant some 19 months ago. Then I totally felt deflated seeing my image in the mirror. Does this happen to everyone? Do all women look pretty much the same (give or take) and all see more bumps in certain lighting or do I just have the worst skin ever? It's enough to make me embarressed for a lifetime. I "feel" like I look like the average mom at the pool, but then that mirror makes me wonder if I'm dead wrong.

So is this me, or does everyone see more under bad lighting? Thing is unless I can build up a lot more muscle I don't think my body at 5"1, and medium bone build, can lose more than five lbs, already I weigh 115. I hate to think I'm left having to be overly self concious the rest of my life x(

Now I'm just trying to work on getting over it.

The majority of fitting room lighting is ridiculous. I don't understand why they can't come up with something more flattering. Who needs to see themselves practically naked under horrendous fluorescent light?

It's not just you. And rest assured that you don't look like that when you're not under that awful lighting.

Hi Julie!

You are certainly not alone!! I know exactly the feeling to wake up feeling pretty darn good about yourself and your accomplishments and then be totally deflated by a dressing room mirror. And it doesn't happen in every store, right?

I say...let's do are best to chalk it up to BAD LIGHTING. Now, when I even think that is going to be the case...I don't even really look in the mirror in the dressing room. I try the clothes on and then go out to a three-way mirror. I find it's usually a little bit better.

I do know how you feel and I'm sure many, many more women do as well.

Yes I agree with Shelley. The thing I've been doing lately is to wear either a Spanx high waisted bodyshaper or a Hanes high waisted body enhancer when I'm trying new clothes at the fitting rooms. It works because I don't have to see all my imperfections 300% worse under that awful lighting.

Yes it does happen to everyone! My own bathroom lighting is the worst in the house and I have to look at that everyday! Don't worry about it, just keep working and appreciate your fitness gains.

PS

I absolutely know what you are saying....I, too, can be having a good day where I finally think, Hey, all my hard work is paying off. Then, go in one of those dressing rooms and about freak out! I always wonder WHICH body others see on me...the one at home I see or the one I see in the dressing rooms??? Drat! Just keep up the hard work and know you are healthy. I know my innards are very healthy even though maybe the outside doesn't look quite as good. But, ONWARD I gooo! Don't be down, I am sure you look GREAT compared to many!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Well, you are pretty healthy since you only feel this way when you hit bad lighting. I think that is a good body image.

I have to shower by the lighting of the night light because I can't stand to see a glimpse of my naked body in the mirror. That must be why I don't ever go shopping, lol!!!! :eek:

>
>So is this me, or does everyone see more under bad lighting?

It's not just you, but it's not just 'bad" lighting.

Muted lighting (as in my living room when I workout, with a floor lamp on in the corner) makes my muscles look more defined (or, makes me look like I HAVE some muscles in some spots) and smoothes the rough areas, whereas direct/bright light smoothes out the muscle and makes the rough areas more defined!

JulieL,

It's not you. I too had a similar experience while I was trying on clothes. I've never seen that happen before, unless I'm really getting very old. But I can't believe that, not yet anyway. Hey, other places where I try clothes on make me look really good. It's the lighting.

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

I can't say this happens to everyone, Julie, but it happens to me ALL THE TIME. My son is with me everytime I shop, so he is with me in the fitting room. He always says things that basically mean I'm fat. For example, I tried on a pair of shorts and he said I looked "butty". Take note that he never says things like that here at home, and I do run around the house in shorts and a tank top. On my part, I see MUCH, MUCH less of the "bad" things about my body with the lighting in our house than in the fitting rooms at the stores.

Think about how far you've come. That is all that matters.

Pinky

Thanks everyone for making me know I'm not alone! Maybe I'll go back to trying things on at home, then return, LOL!

Pinky I LOVE your shirt in your avatar - where is it from?

Thanks, Julie. That's from Kohl's. I saw some with the very same cut, but with stripes instead of paisleys, at Academy Sports.

Yeah, try things on at home. You'd have to make another trip for returns, but hey... anything to keep your motivation. ;-)

Pinky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.