Are interval workouts safe during pregnancy?

M

mgreen

Hi Sheila and Cathe,

Is it safe to do interval workouts such as Interval Max or Intense Moves during pregnancy? I noticed a disclaimer at the end of Intense Moves that said that you should not do interval workouts (or was it just Intense Moves? - sorry, I can't remember specifically) if you are pregnant. Why is that? Thanks for any info.

Marjorie

Interval workouts

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-99 AT 10:03PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Marjorie! I would not recommend doing interval workouts while you are pregnant. The reason for this is that Intervalmax, as well as most typical interval workouts, are designed to push you above and beyond your aerobic comfort zone(during some portion of the interval)in order to improve your overall aerobic capacity. When you are pregnant, it is not recommended that you work anywhere near your anaerobic threshold, which is most likely what you will experience during interval workouts. While we now know that the old ACOG guidelines have been revised and that it is acceptable to workout beyond 140 BPM, we are still encouraged to listen to our body's and cut back when we find ourselves going beyond our aerobic comfort zone. At no point in a workout should a pregnant woman be working so hard that her breathing becomes severely labored. And that is why interval workouts are strongly not recommended!

Your Pregnancy Workout Goal: If you were exercising before your pregnancy and your doctor has given you the go ahead to continue exercising, then your goal should be to(at the very most) maintain your current level of fitness. Of course you will always have to listen to your body and always modify accordingly for each and every workout on a daily basis for the duration of the pregnancy. If at any point during your workouts, your breathing starts to get somewhat heavy, start cutting back on intensity to bring your heart rate down to a more comfortable level. Now is also a good time to remind you to STAY HYDRATED before, during, and after your workouts!

BTW Sheila, please step in if you have anything to add or revise!

Thanks Cathe!

Cathe,

Thanks for all the info! That makes a lot of sense. I hope you are doing well!

Marjorie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.