Anyone living in Louisville Kentucky ?

sancho

Cathlete
It looks like we are moving there and I just wanted to get some basic information. My husband grew up there and his parents are still there but I want opinions on schools and living areas from someone outside the family.

Thanks,

Lauren

Hi Lauren!

I live in Frankfort, Ky which is about 45/50 minutes from Louisville. I grew up in the Lexington, Ky area so I honestly don't know much about Louisville neighborhood/schools, but i'll tell you what I know. :) I know in general Louisville is like most big cities, it has great schools/neighborhoods and bad schools/neighborhoods. The school system is a little unique in that the elementary school your children attend is dictated by your address (like in most cities) but your children choose what high school they'd like to attend and then "apply" to see if they get accepted. The various high schools focus on particular subjects such as engineering, environmental studies, drama/acting/music/theater, etc. In theory, you could live on the east side of Louisville but your child would attend high school on the west side because there is where they school he/she chose is located.

I asked my DH about schools/neighborhoods and this is what he had to say:

Good Louisville Schools (All Public): These schools offer excellent academic options for advanced studies and the arts. Also, Male and Ballard are extremely competitive in sports.

Ballard
Eastern
Louisville Male
Pleasure Ridge Park

Louisville Private Schools:
Saint Xavier: All male school, high performance in academics and extremely competitive in sports.
Trinity: All male school, high performance in academics and extremely competitive in sports.
Assumption: All girls school.

Nice Areas to Live:
Shelbyville Road (US 60) – High Class Country Club Homes (ex. Valhalla, host of several PGA Tours) to some areas having middle class homes.
Southern Parkway Area – Low to Middle Class homes – traditional area
Hurstbourne Area – Middle to Upper Class
Outskirts of Taylorsville Road – Middle Class Housing
Bardstown Road – Nice area.
Westport Road and Northeastern Jefferson County – Middle Class, some areas are very nice
Shively – Low to Middle Class – Still a nice area, well located

Stay away from west downtown Louisville, do not go near.

Of course, that is just DH's opinion and you will likely find differing opinions depending on who you ask. I have friends and family who live in Louisville so if you have any questions about a particular neighborhood or school I will gladly ask around and see what information I can dig up for you. Everyone I know who lives there loves it. In fact, if my DH and I both end up working in the Louisville metro area who would definitely consider moving there.

Welcome to the bluegrass state!

Katie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.