Anyone have Otosclerosis & Stapedectomy surgery?

ImFiddY

Cathlete
I've just leaned that my hearing loss is due to Otosclerosis and I have a choice of doing nothing, getting a hearing aid or having Stapedectomy surgery.

I would love to get rid of the ringing in that ear but the surgery scares the heck out of me.

Has anyone had it and how were your results ?

Thanks !

Sorry,to hear about your hearing loss. I have no advice! Just wanted to send you a ((HUG))) and hope you feel better soon! :D

One of my girlfriends had it done on both ears a few years ago. She said it was the best thing she's ever done, and was SHOCKED at how much she was inadvertently missing (the sound of her youngest son's breathing when he slept on her chest, for example). Surgery was easy with minimal recovery time, as I recall.

If I understand correctly, there is a very high risk of losing your hearing completely if you don't get the problem corrected. And that is NOT reversible once you get to that state. It might take many, many years, but that is something to also consider.

Thanks for the info. I'll make an appt. and at least talk to the surgeon. I won't do anything until next year when my medical deductable resets. If I'm going to max out a 5k deductable then I want the whole year to have cheaper medical in case something else breaks !

I've just leaned that my hearing loss is due to Otosclerosis and I have a choice of doing nothing, getting a hearing aid or having Stapedectomy surgery.

I would love to get rid of the ringing in that ear but the surgery scares the heck out of me.

Has anyone had it and how were your results ?

Thanks !
Hello! I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you ended up having the surgery? If so, can you tell me your experience? I just learned that my hearing loss is also from otoclerosis and I'm also considering having the surgery. Hope to hear from you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.