Anyone get scammed on their cell this weekend?

buffettgirl

Cathlete
DH and I both got a text saying there were credit issues and to call a "secure number for more info" yesterday. Since we were on a trip to the NY Finger Lakes, buying lots of wine, it didn't sound too fishy to us. Until you call the number and the first thing they asked for was your credit card number!?!?!? We called the number on our credit card and they said we were right to check, it was a scam. Since then, I've talked to multiple people who got the same message.

YIKES!!! No, I didn't get a message on my phone, but thanks for the warning! You were smart to call your CC company. Geez, scam artists are so crafty! :confused:

I don't trust anyone who initiates the calls or contacts to ME.

what is with these people anyway???

Glad you didn't get taken. My CC was hijacked earlier this month and almost $2000 was charged to places in Britain; one place (Oh Baby London) actually sent me a copy of the invoice! of course - fake email, but the mailing address was in Spain, and it was a male, how did it even go through??

I didn't lose any money, but CC companies have to be smarter too - the invoice had as Cardholder Name a Male, and Cardholder Address an address in Spain, yet the bank was my little town in Connecticut and I'm obviously a female name-wise....

Hope you enjoyed your trip to the Finger Lakes; which ones did you visit? I grew up in the area, closest one to me was Canandaigua....my family still lives there.

Barb, we stayed close to Watkins Glen so we could hit Seneca, Cayuga, and Keuka Lakes. I haven't been to Canadaigua but I think there is an African Violet grower there who I would love to visit.

I'm glad you didn't lose any money with your hijacked CC. It's a scary world out there. I'm just glad my DH is savvy to stuff like this. I probably would have fallen for it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.