Anyone from the Denver Area?

warmbreeze

I'm relocating to Denver and looking for a nice, safe area to live. I plan on relocating mid-July and will be traveling to the Denver area in two weeks to look for a place to rent. I don't know much about the Area (only what I have seen from several visits) and would love to get some input. It's just me, no kids or husband; I'm basically starting over. Husband of almost 18 yrs decided he needed to discover himself and what he wants in life. So I told him to go find himself. Well, "find" was not exactly the word I used - but it was another four letter F word - so same thing. Anyway, please, if you have lived in the Denver area or are currenly living in the Denver area, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Natalye

I moved here about 4 in a half years ago. Not sure where you are moving from but I moved here from Mississippi and the housing is quite expensive out here. Be aware of sticker shock. I live on the Northeast side of town and like it very much there. I think it may depend on where you work. It takes a long time to travel through town and traffic is crazy! So be aware of that. The closer west of town that you live the more expensive it is due to view of the Rocky Mountains. Be careful of the Aurora area, some areas there are not safe. Commerce City area is very industrial, not a safe place to live. Please feel free to email me, I will be glad to refer you to a real estate agent, etc, to help get you started. My husband and I do like it here in comparison to other places that we have lived. I wish you all the best of luck!

i also live in the denver area...beautiful place to live! please feel free to pm me regarding interests, price range, where you're working.... and i can better advise.

I'm in Evergreen which is the mountain suburb just west of Denver. It's beautiful up here and I love it, but I'm not sure it's the very best place for a single person unless you're really into the mountains. It does have a small town feel where you see people you know just about everywhere you go. It's also quite expensive from the housing perspective, even more so than Denver, I think.

I have a friend that, while not single, lives a more hip, urban lifestyle than I do. She lives near the 32nd and Lowell area (actually, closer to the Tennyson area) which is either called Berkeley or West Highland, can't tell exactly which from the map, but this is an area you might consider particularly if you are working downtown. It's small, older homes and new construction townhouse/condos. Lots of small, cute shops and restaurants.

DH works downtown with some single folks so if you give me more info on what you're looking for, I can ask him to ask some single folks for ideas.

I pretty much live in central Denver and work downtown. I grew up in the suburbs, I love being in the city! Lots of activity and lots of different people - old and young! Just depends on what you're looking for. Suburbs are typical suburbs, I prefer the southwest/southeast parts of town. You've got mountain communities like Evergreen and Conifer that one poster mentioned. But there are lots of trendy/old neighborhood revitalization areas central to town with their own vibe and feel (Highlands, Cherry Creek, Wash Park, Stapleton, Lowry, Platt Park etc...) - there are lots of them!

I really liked living in Boulder. It's eclectic, funky and fun. It is very pedestrian friendly and there is always something going on. There's a lot of awesome hiking and biking trails right out your door! It's also a very social place and very easy to meet others. I also like Evergreen where Geomom lives. It's beautiful!

Well, I'm in Colorado Springs so I don't have any specific Denver advice, but can you say "COLORADO ROAD TRIP?" Sounds like we have enough CO Cathe fans to meet up this summer!!!

Well, I'm in Colorado Springs so I don't have any specific Denver advice, but can you say "COLORADO ROAD TRIP?" Sounds like we have enough CO Cathe fans to meet up this summer!!!

Now you're thinking! We could do a Pure Barre class since there seems to be more PB locations in Colorado than Starbucks by now! lol

Okay- NOW you have my attention!! A CO Road Trip would rock!!! Catheeeeee, hint, hint, hint- think Colorado!!! :D

We moved to CO from CA about five years ago and have NOT looked back! It's a wonderful place with incredible beauty and crazy weather. We live in Monument and it's just such a super duper place to be.

Happy house hunting!!

Pam

I have a friend that, while not single, lives a more hip, urban lifestyle than I do. She lives near the 32nd and Lowell area (actually, closer to the Tennyson area) which is either called Berkeley or West Highland, can't tell exactly which from the map, but this is an area you might consider particularly if you are working downtown. It's small, older homes and new construction townhouse/condos. Lots of small, cute shops and restaurants.

I was going to suggest the Highlands area too. It is trendy and hip and very close to the city. It has a lot of charm and character too. It's my favorite part of Denver as well as the City Park area as well as the area near National Jewish Medical Center and the old CU medical center campus.

I live in Boulder and I love it there. It's a outdoorsy kind of town, but the housing is kind of expensive.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I plan on flying to Denver on the 22nd of June to find a place to stay. I don't think I need a real estate agent since I'll be renting vs buying. I've been looking at the Green Valley Ranch area, is that safe? Also, I think a Colorado road trip would be awsome. Count me in!

While I think the Green Valley area is probably perfectly safe, I kind of curious how you chose that area to target. It seems like a suburban place where families are watching the Saturday morning soccer match together, not necessarily the most fun place for a single person. Is it a place someone recommended or falls in your comfort zone? Also, if you're working nearby, that might be a great area, but downtown, do yourself a favor and live close-in! :cool:

Green Valley Ranch is probably pretty safe, but honestly most parts of Denver are. Just a warning, GVR is total suburbia and not near anything, except the airport. I don't think that there would be many single people there. Did you pick that because it would be close to work? If so, there are more desirable places for a young single gal to live. Look on the internet for the Lowry or Stapleton areas as they are kind of near GVR but in a much more fun, happening part of town.

While I think the Green Valley area is probably perfectly safe, I kind of curious how you chose that area to target. It seems like a suburban place where families are watching the Saturday morning soccer match together, not necessarily the most fun place for a single person. Is it a place someone recommended or falls in your comfort zone? Also, if you're working nearby, that might be a great area, but downtown, do yourself a favor and live close-in! :cool:
I'm not sure why I picked the GVR area; Maybe to be on the safe side. I have not gotten use to the fact that I will be living by myself after almost 18 yrs of marriage and I figured the city would be a little too hip for me at 41. Also, I live in at 2,800sf house, and although I am leaving the house and most of the contents in it with my soon-to-be ex, I've been hesitant to give up all the space. But I'm starting to think a small apartment will be a nice change (low maintenance). I did lookup some apartments in the Lowry and Stappleton areas and I really like them and plan on looking at them during my visit.

Natalye

I'm not completely familiar with Denver, but I *love* the old (expensive) homes in the Cherry Creek area. Sigh ....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.