Anyone else TTC?

Sisyphus

I see that there's not a ton of activity on here now, but I was hoping that there might be someone else out there willing to participate in a TTC forum. It looks almost deserted now, but man, I remember when the pregnancy/TTC forum was hopping!!

I had started asking about a TTC forum early last year, but then some health/family/job issues caused me to put off stopping birth control until things stabilized. So I went off the pill at the end of August 2011.

I'm a long time Cathlete (about 7 years now), I'm 31 years old, and DH and I are TTC our first child after 9 years of marriage. January was our 5th month TTC, and it looks like we're out this month. :( Boo!

I know that 5 months isn't very long, but in my family, women get pregnant literally 2 weeks after stopping the bc pill, so I'm kind of an oddity actually having to TRY at all!

Up to this point, we hadn't been doing anything special like doing OKPs or BBT or any charting, except for a very basic "MyDays" phone app. This month, though, I've invested in 20 Clearblue Easy OKPs and a 50-pack of Wondfo OKPs and will start using those about 10 days into my cycle (I'm only 2 days in to my cycle now!)

Anyway... I guess I'm just looking for some company. None of my family or friends has ever had to try to get pregnant, so no one seems to know how I feel; their advice has been "just relax, it'll happen". Barf.

Anywho... any chance that anyone else out there is looking to establish or expand a family? If so, I'd love to chat. :)

Sis

Last edited:
Hi Sis-

First, I feel for you. TTC is a delicate process. So many people take it for granted and it shouldn't be. Not to mention, it makes it way harder when others around you have no problem getting pregnant.

I'm 32 and my DH and I are TTC. We have been married for 8 years (together for 13). I have been a dedicated Cathlete for at least 5 years now. LOVE her and her workouts. I recently purchased the LIS...can't wait to get that one!

But back to the topic here. I got pregnant a few months ago and had a miscarriage. Needless to say, it was horrible. My NP told us to wait until after I had one normal period to start trying again. We tried this month and no such luck :( I didn't take my temperature or anything like that. Like you, I just used an ovulation calculator. I am thinking of buying an ovulation kit for next month. Granted we haven't been trying that long but I just really want it to happen soon! Like you, people have just been telling me to relax and it will happen when it happens. No offense to them, but I don't like that answer!

Thankfully we are both still young and it will happen, but it is so scary to think of all the other possibilities. I know how you're feeling.

Good luck and keep in touch. I had lurking on this specific pregnancy forum for quite awhile and was glad to see you post something that related to me.

M

Oh, M, I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage! :( I can see how that must have been devastating.

Aside from a fear of not getting pregnant at all, my biggest fear is a miscarriage. I mentioned in my original post that women in my family get pregnant extremely easily, but they've also had a lot of miscarriages, and some of them have been 2nd trimester miscarriages, which is terrifying to me.

This cycle, I've decided to try using ovulation predictor strips (I got mine from Amazon.com-- the Wondfo LH ovulation strips are about $11 for 50 of them!). Up to now, DH and I have just been focusing "our activities" toward the middle of my cycle (roughly days 14-18). However, after browsing a couple of other TTC forums, I see several women reporting that they discovered they were ovulating far later than they expected, like days 20-22. So I'm interested to see if maybe I'm ovulating earlier or later than I am guessing!

I'm going to try to start using the Wondfo strips every 12 hours starting on cycle day 10, which is next Wednesday... I've also read that some women's LH surge only lasts 12 hours versus the expected 24-48 hours, so I'm hoping that if I test every 12 hours, I'll have less of a chance of missing it if I do happen to be someone with a short luteal phase.

In the meantime, I'm taking prenatals, eating lots of organic fruits and veggies, and trying to workout at least 3 times a week (trickier lately in my current job, where I usually work 10-12 hours a day!)

Anyway, I'm hugely hopeful for you!! With any luck, this will be a super month for both of us. :)

Very interesting about people ovulating later in their cycle. Thinking I will get some of those test strips too. Thanks for the tip.

I take prenatal gummies...Target brand. They are really good :) I was taking 800mcg worth of folic acid and after my miscarriage my NP told me to increase it to 1000mcg. Just a heads up...and she did say it is very safe for women TTC to do that.

Regarding working out.....My NP also told me to stick to 6 hours or less a week and to not increase my intensity or strive for new fitness goals while TTC, so your 3 days a week sounds perfect.

Good luck with everything and keep in touch!

Well, we are not really trying in using test strips or calendars or anything, but back in September we stopped using b/c and here we are 5 months later and still nothing. I guess I just assumed it would happen instantly, since that's what happened with our 3.5 year old son. No such luck this time. But I feel you - it is VERY unnerving when something that is supposed to be natural and easy just isn't.

Good luck to you on your journey!

Well, Mmis, you don't have to be actively doing anything (other than the obvious :p) to join the check-in, if you so desire. :) Whatever you end up deciding, I wish you the best of luck!

Today was day 10 of my cycle, so I started using ovulation predictor strips this morning. I'm actually using two different types, simply because I'm worried about the possibility of just one type not working as well for me. (I've read about other women saying this!) So I'm using the Clearblue Easy digital (the smiley face ones) and the Wondfo LH strips (tiny and dirt cheap)!

The weirdest part is having to wait until the "sample" is room temperature before I can dip the strips in... I keep forgetting about it just sitting there on my bathroom counter! :eek: Of course, this is only the first day, so I'm thinking I might buy a cheap kitchen timer to carry around with me as a reminder to go back and do the test.

Anyway, no LH surge detected yet, but I didn't expect it at only day 10 anyway. More than anything, I just don't want to miss an early or late surge, and since I have ZERO idea when (or if) I ovulate, I wanted to start at a reasonably early stage.

Mm123, how are things going for you? Where are you in your cycle? Have you started doing anything more actively for this journey?

Hope to hear from you ladies soon! :)

Sis

Mmis- I agree- I thought it would happen right away. My DH ran into one of his friends at the gym the other day and it took him and his wife 2 years to conceive. Of course when I asked the details about what they tried and so on, my hubby of course said they didn't discuss that. I should have figured.

Sis- My fingers are crossed for you. I have a question about the strips. I was looking into them at Walgreens...they are expensive..thinking I'll get some from Amazon like you did. Thanks for that tip! Btw those worked right away for 2 of my friends, one being upper 30's and a first baby. Anyways....I thought I read that it predicts LH...so like 24-48 hours before you ovulate? So after you get a positive or whatever it may show as, technically you don't ovulate for another 24-48 hours? I heard sperm can last up to 3 days so might as well get going on the task at hand right away, but is what I am interpreting correct.

As far as my cycle goes...I'm still waiting for my period. I have a irregular cycle as far as I know. I really haven't kept track until a few months ago. Day 29 is today and still no period. I did take a pregnancy test that confirmed I'm NOT pregnant :( as well as have no signs of pregnancy so this is no surprise. Just waiting....

I was looking forward to trying this next cycle but my DH has this great idea that we take a romantic getaway to the beach in March...hopefully during my my time of ovulation. At first, and actually still, I am a bit unsure, as I wanted to continue our journey of trying. One of my friends mentioned that I could still have fun at the beach if I was pregnant....true enough but I do worry about flying and all. I know it's not supposed to affect anything but with a previous miscarriage I don't want to take any chances....let alone have any nausea or what have you on vacation. On the other side of things, skipping one month is really not that big of a deal. However, I am 32 almost 33 with no kids and I don't want to miss our chance. So to take or not to take the vacation....that is the question?! UGH! Ok I know stress isn't good so I probably need to chill haha! Any advice is appreciated.

Baby dust coming your way Sis and Mmis. Keep me posted :)

Hi, Mm123! You asked the question:

Anyways....I thought I read that it predicts LH...so like 24-48 hours before you ovulate? So after you get a positive or whatever it may show as, technically you don't ovulate for another 24-48 hours? I heard sperm can last up to 3 days so might as well get going on the task at hand right away, but is what I am interpreting correct.

Yes, that is correct for most women. The way the ovulation predictor strips are supposed to work is by detecting the Luteinizing Hormone (LH) surge that happens (for most women) approximately 24-48 hours BEFORE your egg is released, i.e. when ovulation occurs. (I've attached a graphic from an OPK... basically, for most women, it will ideally detect the "pink time" on the chart, which should precede ovulation by a short time, but it truly varies from woman to woman.)

So, yes, since sperm can survive for a couple of days, that is why it is best to BD (baby dance) right as you get a positive result on an OPK to maximize your chances that DH's little soldiers are there, waiting eagerly, as your egg makes its grand entrance. They say it's best to BD on the day of a positive OPK, and then for the two days afterward, just for good measure.

Yep, OPKs can be expensive! I do use the Wondfo ones, and they're quite commonly used in the "rabidly TTC" community, since they're cheap and relatively reliable. I use this kind: Amazon.com: WIDE 50 LH Ovulation Predictor Kit Test Strips: Health & Personal Care, and so far, so good. I'm only on CD11, of course, but at least it appears that the test is working properly.

Anyway, I hope that helped! :)

Sis

Attachments

• LH Surge Chart.jpg
    LH Surge Chart.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 7
Thank you so much! That really helps! Appreciate the response.

Thanks for attaching that link for the strips too. I'll be buying some of those for sure :)

Hi, Gratefuldog! Thanks for the recommendation of the book; I'm actually familiar with many of its basic points (basal temp, CM, etc.) and I've visited the FertileFriend.com site... I don't temp, but I've been paying attention for the last few months to the "CM" side of the house, and I can tell you that I haven't observed the EWCM phenomenon that would indicate ovulation, so part of why I'm using OPKs is to try to determine whether or not I actually am ovulating. :(

Sis

Hi Gratefuldog! Thanks so much for the tips. I'll have to check out that book.

So I'm on day 35 and still no period....I don't get it...confirmed a NO on a pregnancy test on Jan 31st and have no symptoms. My cycle is just that irregular apparently. I want to get it sooo bad so I can start trying again.

Sis- How are you coming along? Are your cycles irregular? How long has your longest one been?

Hi, Mm123! I was just about to check in with you ladies!

Well, after considering Gratefuldog's post, I have decided to go ahead and start temping, so I bought a $7 basal body thermometer at Walmart last night and took my first BBT this morning! :) I'm using Ovulation Calendar and Ovulation Chart - Fertility Charting to chart my ovulation strip results and my temperatures, so I'm interested to see what happens over time. Part of me almost hopes I don't get pregnant this cycle, just so I can see what happens over a month or two!

I'm on day 16 of my cycle, and no positive OPK yet. I've been using them religiously every 12-14 hours (the Clearblue digital and the Wondfos), but so far all negatives, not even a hint of a second line on the Wondfos! And, just in case, DH and I have been BDing the last couple of days!

So bummed to hear about your crazy irregular cycles! :( To be honest, I am still learning what's normal for me; I was kind of irregular as a teenager, but then I was on the pill non-stop from age 18 to age 31. However, since I stopped the pill in late August, my cycles have been pretty regular. It's been 34 days, 28 days 28 days, 29 days, 31 days, 31 days. I'm just hoping that it doesn't get progressively longer as time goes on.

Are your cycles normally this irregular?

Sis

Also - did I read that right that you last took a pregnancy test on 31 January?? If that's true, you should definitely test again... it's not abnormal AT ALL to have negatives before you have a positive!!

Last edited:
I probably should test again. I do have a couple tests upstairs right now...tempting! Ok if I don't get it by Mon I'll test :) Holding out a little longer just because I don't have any symptoms.

I'm not sure if I'm usually irregular as I just starting keeping track a few months ago....27, 28 and 28. Tomorrow will be day 36.....

Looks like you probably do ovulate later in your cycle. Glad you're testing your testing your BBT. Thanks for posting that link too :)

Can't wait to see your results for this month!

Well, ladies, I got positive OPKs today (cycle day 21!), which (hopefully) indicates ovulation is just around the corner. Wondfo strips and Clearblue digital were both positive! Yay!

So, got DH to BD today, and we're going to have a repeat performance tomorrow morning before work, and then... we wait.

Mm123-- any news?

Baby dust to all of us!

Sis

Yay Sis! That is great news!!!!

Well....I took a test this morning and got a PREGNANT! I'm super happy, but trying not to get overpumped, as I still have no symptoms and of course I'm worried because of what happened last time. But I'm staying positive and hoping this one works!

Hoping we can celebrate together!

Keep me posted. I'll do the same!

Baby dust!!!!

Hi, ladies!

Well, it's a waiting game for me, but I am not feeling terribly optimistic. I'm still temping, but I think my temps just seem all over the place... (see my FF chart here if you'd like!) I am kind of questioning whether I've actually ovulated at all, because I don't see the thermal shift that is so noticeable in most other women's charts that I've seen. *sigh*

Oh, well, if this isn't my cycle, then there's always next time! Gratefuldog, I have been having 31-day cycles of late, so you're right on target! If I don't get AF by the 23rd (day 32 of my cycle), then I'll start HPTs, but I can't drive myself nuts with the "how many DPO might I be right now?" stuff!!

Thanks for the positive thoughts! And, yes, Mm123, how are you feeling??

Sis

Sis- I feel like you had that dip and then spike like you are supposed to. I don't know too much about the charts, but at first glance it looked good to me. Fingers crossed with much baby dust.

I'm feeling good. I have been especially tired lately, especially after work. I've been taking it easy with workouts (about 5 days a week for an hour or less and no jumping or high impact) and trying to get in naps. My breasts are sore and swollen but varies in intensity throughout the day and by the day which I find odd. Also I haven't had any nausea, maybe a little queasy in the morning but nothing really. I will be 7 weeks on Wed. I have a friend who is a week ahead of me and she was nauseous around 6 weeks. I try not to compare or google anything but of course it makes me a bit nervous that I'm not. Trying to remain calm though, hard at times.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.