Anyone else in the 5'3 range?

momtomany

Isn't it hard to buy pants when you are not really short, but not really average. Has anyone found pants that actually look right on your body? If I buy regular anything they are way too long (I'm long in the torso and short legged which doesn't help) However, if I buy petite sizes then I have the high-water look when I sit down. Anyone had success with a particular brand of pants for this situation? I am looking forward to having the low rise pant go out of style, it makes my short legs look even shorter and my torso very long.

I'm 5'3" and the exact opposite of you, with a very, very short waist. Low rise pants are my best look and petite sizes were made for me. So, it's not really about height so much as shape I guess. Sorry I'm no help.

I know what you mean. I'm almost 5'5" (5'4.something"). I actually don't care when pants have a longer inseam because what I do is I use them with really high heels and it makes my legs look longer and it gives the illusion of height. However I have found that if the inseam is longer than 32" I have to hem my pants even if I use 4 inch heels. Ultra low rise pants (the ones that show butt cleavage when you're sitting) are out of style. Pants are coming now one inch below the waist in the front and normal rise in the back to prevent butt cleavage. Pants that have a regular rise (the ones that fit exactly on your waist line --not above or below it) are also back. You will always see people wearing the ultra low rise pants though.

Rose11 has given some awesome advise! Although, I'm only 5'3 when I actually thought all this time I was 5 '4.x(

Anyway, hemming will probably be a sure thing. That's the easy part to fix. If pants fit good through the waist & the butt, what ARE you waiting for? Get them & pay the extra 5 or 6 bucks to hem them. Also, measure them with the size heel you are most likely to wear them with. That way they can be measured length-wise accordingly. Your hem has to cover the heel according to style, & I agree.

Marla:)

I'm 5'2 1/2" but I too have the opposite problem. My legs are regular length, but I'm extremely short waisted. I have trouble buying tops because usually they are way too long. The short shirts work great for me because they fit like a regular shirt would.

Trish

I'm 5' 3"...I will always err on the side of long rather than short length in jeans/pants. I tend to wear big chunky shoes so having pants that are slightly longer works for me. I wore men's levis for years because of my shape. I have a thick waist so most women's jeans don't fit me right. I own low rise and like them but it's hard for me to find ones that fit well. Buying jeans is a constant struggle for me so I know how you feel...

Wendy

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

8 month pic just added! EEK! lol http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

I'm 5'3" also. And because of my height I usually wear at least a 2" heel, so a 32" inseam is perfect for me.

The only thing I hate hemming is jeans. Most of them come w/a worn look & I hate it when the bottoms look brand spanking new while the rest of the edges/seams are frayed.

I also love the low rise look. I'm very long waisted--I have short legs & a long torso. The best look for my body type is low rise flare w/high heels, it gives a longer look to my legs & makes me look taller.

I have the same problem. I hate the fact that the 30" lengths make me look like I am anticipating the floods or that they take away length from my already short legs. 32" of course is way too long.

Jeans are the hardest. I don't mind hemming trousers or chinos but I hate altering jeans. I live in Toronto and there is place called Blue Notes that does jeans in various lengths. For some reason their 30" inseam seems to work better for me than most. I also managed to buy a couple of ankle lengths from Old Navy that were long. But it was just in this one particular style and it was not low waisted enough or flared enough. Still it was bootcut and fairly decent.

When I lived in the US - I remember finding some stuff from Levi's which worked for me (but it was the teenage range) and Express. I think I also had jeans from other teenage shops like Pac Sun. I also find that American Eagle's petite lengths are nice and long although the rest of the fit never seems flattering on my body. Hope this helps. Finding jeans is always hard for those of us with short legs.

Sounds like you and I are built the same. I'm just shy of 5' 3" (5'2¾" to be exact). I have a 29" inseam, with a long torso. I've had good luck with Lands End, LEI short leg.

Susan C.M.

I am also just under 5'3". It really depends on the pants and my biggest problem is jeans. I just think they never look right on me.

I didn't realize that there were so many shorties around here! Cool!
Melissa

I am 5'3" too - finding pants is a huge pain. Not only because I'm short, but because I also have big hips and a small waist. Nothing fits right, ever. My first goal is finding something to fit my hips and waist. If it's too long, I'll hem it.

The worst thing is when I go to try on a pair of Capri pants and they come down past my ankles! ACK! (Well, I guess we could buy capri pants for tall people and wear them as regular pants LOL!) ;)

I'm 5"1' and still have a hard time finding pants that fit right even in petite sizes. Lee jeans are pretty good to my body, most of their cuts anyway. And the ones I've found have a lower rise, but not so low that you display the top of your underpants. And they come in short, average and long lengths.

Do you know a good tailor? You just might have to get a regular length and have the pants shortened a bit. I've done that a few times, even with petite sizes. I don't know what's going on with clothing sizes these days -- a 4 is no longer a 4, and petite can be longer. Sometimes you just have to take something in to be altered.:(

Pinky

I'm 5'1" and this is my biggest pet peeve because I love to buy clothes! Why in heaven's name do clothing manufacturers not give women more of a choice in pants length? Notice that men's pants come in a multitude of lengths? (30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 36, etc.) I cannot wear petite pants either because high waters are NOT attractive. I have the most luck with Banana Republics but still have to buy the regular length and shorten every pair. So why can't they make petite sizes with a variety of lengths, since women are not all the same height??? I wear size 2 since I've lost weight and that is an almost impossible size to find. Shopping for clothes has become a pain since I'm thinner. How unfair!!!!! I thought it would be more fun. x(

Emily, I am just like you. I am 5' 2" and have wider hips and thighs and a small waist. Pants are difficult for me to find because not only are they too long, but in order for me to get pants large enough to fit my hips the waist is always huge. I love the new low ride pants because I don't have to worry about how they fit on my waist.

Katie

I am almost 5'3" and petite pants fit me perfect. When I buy a pair of pants that I like and they are too long, I just hem them myself. No biggie.

Wendy, the big day is just around the corner, eh? I wish you and baby the best and a Speedy Delivery (as Mr. McPhealy (sp?) on Mr. Rogers would say). :)

I'm 5'2.5" and have always had trouble finding pants that fit right. Of course, being overweight doesn't help. LOL I'm working on that- 80 pounds down and 55 more or so to go! In the meanwhile, I've found a really good fit with Lee brand. The waist fits and they are just the right length- even capris! Yippie!

I'm finally able to get into regular 16s lately, as opposed to 16W. Which is awesome for me considering that 3 years ago I was wearing 24Ws! However, my waist and thighs are thinning out faster than my butt and hips. LOL Will my body ever be in decent proportions? LOL I bet using Cathe's workout rotations will help immensely.... ;)

Connie :D

I've had really good luck with J Crew's petite pants. The inseam is 29" which is perfect. And they come in all different rises.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.