Anyone else eat the same things most of the time?

nancy324

Cathlete
Not much varies in my diet from week to week. I have one breakfast that I eat, I have the same lunch about 4 out of 5 weekdays, and maybe 4 or 5 different dinners that I rotate. I do vary my evening fruit by season, but that's about it. I rarely get tired of something I really like. Guess I'm rather set in my ways. Anyone else do this? Do you think it's a problem nutritionally?

Yes, I think I'm a creature of habit. LOL:D I don't think it's a problem. I make sure to take a multi vitamin everyday.

I have steel cut oats almost every morning, and most weeks we have the same kinda of eats for lunch and dinner. About 10 different meals we interchange a lot.

Janie

Yep, sounds like I have a little more variation but not much, Nancy! I have oatmeal almost every morning, the fruit in it varies but is usually blueberries, banana, or apple. Soup or salad almost every lunch. I eat apples year-round, other seasonal fruit varies. My dinners are variations on beans/veggies over rice, which depending on seasonings could be chili one night and curry the next.

I think that whether it is a problem nutritionally depends on what's in the lunch and dinners that you eat over and over. If you're concerned about getting a wider variety of foods, you could sub ingredients. For example quinoa instead of rice one night, or cabbage instead of broccoli in a dish. Same effort required, but more variation in terms of nutrition.

Breakfast and lunch are pretty much always the same with slight variations. Breakfast is usually hot cereal with 1/2 banana and blueberries or cold cereal with yogurt and, of course, coffee. Lunch is either soup and a sandwich with a side of raw carrots or soup and an egg with toast. Once in a blue moon I'll have a waffle for breakfast made with Kodiak Cakes mix. I do have a few things that appear weekly on the table for dinner, but it is the meal where I will get the most creative. I like to try new recipes, usually from Bon Appetit or that I find online. I love food and love trying new things. Luckily dh will eat just about anything, on the downside whenever I do ask him what he wants for dinner (almost never) the answer is always, "Pizza".

I am the exact same way. I eat very healthy, and there are limited amounts of healthy foods that I actually enjoy. So I seem to eat the same ones over and over. I eat a lot of salads with grilled chicken, fruit/protein smoothies, chili with ground turkey with tons of veggies with a little curry and chili powder. Also hard boiled eggs. Not too much variety but I seem healthier now than ever. :)

The only time I vary from oatmeal for breakfast is when I'm on vacation. Otherwise, all oatmeal all the time. Love the stuff.

I too eat almost the same stuff all the time! For breakfast it is always Kashi Go Lean, unsweetened almond milk, banana, and coffee (I use powdered nonfat milk as a creamer...no corn syrup!)
Lunch and dinner menus are rotated between fish; chicken; beans; or meat alternatives, coupled with steamed veggies or salads. I alternate brown rice, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat pasta to liven things up.
I never eat out but I never seem to get bored with eating the same things here at home. I recently discovered beets and will add them in as a stachy compliment.
I'm always on the lookout for new veggies to try......:p

Nancy

Yep, I eat the same things at home and I usually order the same things in restaurants.

I kind of go through phases though. I'll love something so much that I eat it and eat it and eat it... next thing you know I can't eat another bite of it and move on to a new favorite.

I eat the same thing pretty much everyday as well, my family thinks I am a little crazy. I have been that way for as long as I can remember, I don't vary my meals much, I may add a little to it but it pretty much stays the same.

I eat oatmeal every weekday because I prepare it the night before and then heat it up when I get to work. Lunch is pretty much the same too. I roast a bunch of beets on the weekend, peel them, cut them up, put a little vinegar and salt and pepper. During the week I put mixed greens in a container, add my beets and goat cheese and I'm all set for lunch. I usually snack on fruit during the day. So far I'm not sick of either my breakfast or lunch.

Dinner varies for me because my husband does about 99% of the cooking.

Yes. I am guilty. I have a basic format that I stick to and then I vary the actual ingredients based on what is in season. Sometimes I skip dinner. I eat a lot of broccolini (easy to fix.), cauliflower, spinach, lettuces, almonds/walnuts. Here is the breakdown for my meals and if I have to eat out its still close:

AM: Cage free Eggs/Steel Cut Oatmeal with nuts, and some coconut oil
Lunch: Big Salad, nuts, olive oil, protein (pork or beef) some fruit (banana or apple.) lemon juice, 1/2 avocado (if available.)
Dinner: At least two servings veggies (steamed or sauteed.) olive oil, maybe some fruit.

Treats: dark chocolate covered raisins, Blue Diamond Nut Thins (1/2 serving.), GF fiber brownie (add 1/2 c. of Psyllium to the Trader Joe's GF brownie mix and extra coconut oil.)

On Saturday I had to eat out because of professional commitments. I went to Panera's had a bowl of soup and a salad with chicken. It was tasty. But, not that different from what I would eat at home.

I'm always on the lookout for new veggies to try......:p

Nancy

I do use some of the blue or purple new potatoes or GF brown rice noodles. Those are great. I love Asian vegetables such as snap peas, mung bean sprouts and bamboo shoots (be sure to rinse the ones in the can have a salty brine.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.