Anyone able to tell me what extra risers for a step does for us?

in2aerobics

I know it's beneficial to our body if we can get that far, and I applaud the ones who are there! I wonder what does it do for our body? Thank you. :D

I believe adding extra risers to a step increases the workload during step-oriented cardio work primarily because the step-up recruits more of the thigh and hip muscles (quads, hams and glutes), plus you're working against more gravity because you're stepping up higher.

As long as your form is good, you can execute the bigger and/or more complex moves safely, AND as long as your knees don't bend more sharply than approximately a 90-degree angle on the step-up, adding height to the step can be a very effective way of increasing your effort. Make sure to plant the foot down through the heel on each step-up, rather than staying on the toes.

A-jock

You might check it out. There was a thread a few weeks ago about people noticing that they were getting too large legs from higher risers.

I know I've decreased and haven't been bulking up and still getting a good workout. Cathe's newer tapes are lower too! So I feel fine doing it!

I saw this thread as well. I only use a 4" step. I get great results because I have the energy to really get my arms into it and I don't have any knee problems either when I do my step.

Kim

I once asked Cathe if she knew how much extra intensity was added to a step workout by adding a riser vs. adding propulsion moves. I don't remember her exact response, but adding propulsion upped the intensity more than adding an extra riser.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.