Any professional colorists/beauticians out there?

winsomehill

Cathlete
I have had a really bad hair coloring experience. My colorist, who is a dear person, is a terrible colorist. To make a long story short, my hair is a checkerboard of blond, red, and brunette. She put what she called a brunette "prism" over the checkerboard. It lasts a few weeks. It is now starting to wash out, and I don't know if I should
1) Go to a professional and ask them to fix it.
2) Just try and dye my hair brown, from a box at the grocery store.
3) Get a dye that washes out at the grocery store and just keep reapplying it as it washes out.
4) Go back to her and have her put the prism in again.
I really don't know what to do.
Heather

Does your colorist do anything but color (cut? style?). If not, since she is a 'terrible' colorist, I wouldn't go back to her, especially if she's the one who did the checkerboard thing.

Why are you even considering going back to her? Because she's nice? Then go out to lunch with her sometime, but don't let 'nice' stand in for professional competence.

I would go to a professional and ask them to fix it. The problem with trying an at-home color is that it may not be compatible with what you now have on your hair, and some products interact in ways that can burn your hair (actually make it smoke and break). Then ask the new person what to do in between (if there is a store product that would be safe to use).

Yóu forgot the A-jock option: shave it all off!

Ouch! I'm not that much of a wimp. The only reason I am considering going back to her to have the prism thing again, is I don't think she would charge me much if anything. Seeing as I paid her $85 to totally mess up my hair, I hate the idea of being out another $85, from someone new.
Heather

I agree with Kathryn that you should go to a different colorist.If it is cost you are concerned with ,try considering the services you do on your hair a worthy investment.Take the time to research the new colorist via "best of" reviews in local mags,helk! just ask a stranger whos hair you think looks great ,especially if their hair is similar in texture to your own.Schedule a consultation with the new colorist prior to your appointment.It should be complimentary and bring pictures of hair color and hairstyles you like.This will give you some relief in getting to know the person and a better understanding between the two of you as to what is going to occur.15 minutes can do a lot to ease the mind. If you keep going back to the "repeat offender" ,no matter how nice she is ,you can only expect to get okay hair ,sometimes bad,hopefully good.Now within the first 7 days of a color or cut being done your stylist should "guarantee' their work.In other words you should be able to have her correct her error complimentary.This is very common practice because really it should rarely be needed.Hope my thoughts help.:7

whatever you do, don'ttry to color it yourself, especially a darker color!!!! I used to color mine blonde,and after years of trial and error I got it down pat. About 2 years ago I had my hair colored to back to it's natural color and my hairdresser used semipermanent. It faded pretty quickly so i just bought some more semipermanent over the counter and did it myself. it FRIED my hair. My hair started breaking off. it was horrible. I will never do that again. My hairdresser said that none of the over the counter stuff is semipermanent. I'll stick to a professional next time. One rule of thumb I use when chosing a colorist, look at their hair color. Chances are if their hair color looks bad they may not be able to do yours that good either. Good luck!

Ashley

Don't let her touch it.
I don't know what she used on you .
Did she foil you ? 3 colors?
I don't do the semi stuff or temp.
I she did foils and bled then she doesn't know what she is doing.
What do you mean about the checkerboard?
If you try to put a brown on the blonde with out filling the pigment, it will wash out and blonde may end up dark and greyish ashy.
Please do not tell me she tried to paint it on like the home kits...
If you send me a pic of it i can probably tell you what to do.
Or, what she has done.
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Why don't you call the manager/owner of the salon? Maybe they can have someone fix it who is competent and also not charge you. I can totally understand you not wanting to even go back to that place though. Sorry this happened.

Karin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.