Any hairdressers out there - or anyone?

claridge

Cathlete
As Ive aged, not only has by body and skin changed - so has my hair!

It proberly didnt help having it bleached a few years back (its never been the same since), but is there anyway to "speed" the growth or the "condition"

Is it "true" that TOO much protein causes more hair breakage?

All my shampoos, conditioners, conditioning packs, leave in conditioners etc, and my diet contains "protein" - is this TOO much protein?

What would you suggest I do or take, as in supplements, to speed the growth and return the condition and feel of my hair? (at the moment, dry, split ends, and YUCK!!!)

I know its a differcult question since you havent seen my hair, but anything you may suggest to your clients would be appreciated.

I would LOVE to have the same hair I had back in my 20's - long, thick, quick growing and sexy .................okay.......... I made up the sexy!

Marion
:-(

It sounds like you have been using a lot of product on your hair. You might try Neutrogena shampoo to get some of the product out. Also, if it is dry try washing it less often, if you can stand to do that.

The only thing for split ends is a trim. I don't think any product can put split/dead ends back together.

I am not a hairdresser, but these are the things that have worked for me.:)

Marion,

I can't wait for some replies from hairstylists because I feel a lot like you do.

I don't have split ends but I do have color and highlights and my hair isn't healthy the way it used to be. Probably because I do color and highlights.:)

Anyway, sometimes I look in the mirror and tell my self I am going to get a short cut (right now it is past my shoulders with long layers). I feel that it is "fried" and poofy. The only time it looks healthy is when my hairdresser flat irons it.

I used to be very blonde forever but I have since gone to my natural color because the maintainence is too much. Roots may look hip on Sarah Jessica Parker, but not me. So I have color (light brown) with a few blonde highlights. I am tall so I don't want to have a very short cut, but I am at the point where I want silky healthy hair again.

Lorihart is a hairdresser, so maybe she can give us some tips.

thanks in advance for healthy hair tips,
Lori

These are good suggestions. I started shampooing only every 2 days a little over a year ago, and once a week I do the Neutrogena deep cleanse followed by an extra intense conditioner. I've always had dry hair and also color it, so it tends to get brittle. I have much healthier hair now.

I use Advanced Expressions shampoo, conditioner and hairspray from Melaleuca and they are very nice. Melaleuca is tea-tree oil, and it's very good for your hair and skin.

Hey Marion,
I am still waiting for some pro's like you are, but here is what I have heard.

Your hair is dead so I don't really think it "knows" it has too much protein on it.

I have heard good things about Keretase (sp?) products. Do you have this in Australia? It is a British product. I have never seen it here (Florida) but have read so many good things about it. Also everybody raves about Phyto. Phyto can be found at Sephora.com

I haven't tried either of these though so I could be wrong. Good luck.

Lori

Hairdresser here! Marion-What type of hair do you have? Is it fine,coarse,curly,straight?
True about the spilt ends, the only way is to cut them off.You may want to start getting a trim every 6 weeks.Its better to have a small trim every month,then a few inches off every 4 monthes. I know its hard to give your hair a good trimming but it would look so much better if you did.Your hair will also feel fuller.
Do you have any layers? Are they dry like the rest of your hair?
I am not sure about the protein,prehaps you shuld try something different.
If I were you (based on dry hair,med thickness,and colored)this is what I'd do:
1.Get a good trim,you may not like it,but lets face it....it looks better.And it will grow back.
2.If you do your own colors,you may want to get a professional color done.If you get highlites from a salon,just get the roots done where your hair parts,or just in the crest area and around your face.If you do all of your hair,it will dry out even more.
3.Time to buy some salon shampoo and conditioner.I use Redken Smooth Down.Its for dry frizzy hair.It is also made with macadamia nut oil.You should buy all 3 of them.The sham,cond,and the treamtment cond.Once a week,leave the treatment cond in your hair when you go to bed and wash it out in the morning.You may find your hair a little to soft the next day but you just need to put up with this for the time being.
4.Don't wash your hair everyday.If you like me, I need to wet mine everyday,instead of washing it,I wet it and comb conditioner through it.
5.If you have fine straight hair,don't purchase the treatment cond.It will weigh your hair down.You could try Matrix Amp Volume shampoo and cond. I would suggested using a spray leave in cond for fine hair.
6.Also start taking some oil capsules, cod liver or something of the sort.
7.There is also another product.Its called Bain De Terre.Its an oil like product that reconstructs.I have the name forgot.I have customers that use it all the time.One lady was having perms and highlites, so you can imagine what she looked like.She has been using this product for years and her hair is 100 % better.
I hope I helped, if you need anything else,let me know.
Lori
P.S you can also look for some of these products in Christmas packs and you will save some money!

Hi,

I totally agree with getting hair cut often. I've cut mine short and my hair is in much better condition now. I also let the stylists color it after years of abusing my hair with home coloring. Worth every penny!!

Which Bain de Terre products do your clients use and rave about? There seems to be a whole bunch of them out there. Do they use the whole system or just one restorative product?

Thanks,
DD

Lori, I tried that not shampooing thing every day & it did not work for me at all. I have curly hair & w/all the product I use it looked really gross on the second day. Plus I felt really nasty after a good sweaty workout. I wish there were some way I could avoid the shampoo, but I do try to go for gentle stuff. I once had a hairdresser tell me all shampoos were made up of basically the same ingredients--from Suave to Phyto--but I'm not taking any chances.

I do however deep condition once a week. I use a heat cap & some kind of oil treatment (Phyto has a great pre-shampoo treatment). It's made a world of difference. I now go 3-4 months w/o a haircut (trying to grow it long--please don't tell me getting it trimmed will make it grow faster, I've tried both trimming & going months w/o a haircut, the latter definitely being the most effective).

Kerastase is really a great product, but I think it's specifically for curly hair & might be a little too heavy for straight. You can get it at www.drugstore.com, or you might get lucky & find some on ebay. Alterna is another great product, it (and Phyto) can both be found at www.beautysak.com.

Good luck!

Maximus,have you tried just rinsing your hair,(good) and then using conditioner.I have curly hair as well and I use alot of gel.I get in the shower everyday but I don't wash my hair, I just give it a good rinse and then condition it.Plus it helps save my color.
The product is called recovery complex.It comes in little bottles but you don't need much.If you are using it,don't put it near your roots b/c it will probably make your hair go flat and roots aren't dry anyway.
Lori

Yeah I've tried that. And adding more conditioner makes it even worse. What happens is I lose my curl & it ends up looking flat, wavy & greasy. I think it's the Phyto Beauty Styling Creme--the stuff is really heavy but does amazing things to frizz.

A couple months ago my hair actually broke off. YIKES! Not all over, just my "bangs" -- which are not on my foredhead, but long bangs (were). Anyay, I started washing my hair with bottled water (gallon size), doing hot oil treatments, shampooing with Neutrogena Anti-Residue & Redken All Soft shampoo & conditioner. I used to use BioSilk Silk Therapy, but I think that's become a problem.

Now I use Redken Smooth Down -- much better! My hairstylist and I think it was a combination of things -- one of those being my recent overuse of a ceramic straightener. I do get color and highlights ... and sometimes my water here is hard. Sigh.

My hair definitely is much better, but I did have to wait for the broken off bangs to grow out. My hairstylise did an excellent job of blending them in so I didn't look like Cleopatra!

Try the Redken Smooth Down or All Soft. They're great.

Best wishes,
Marla G.

Thank you so much Lori for your "free" hairdressing advice, but I will pay you in cyber $$$$$$$$$$$..................that should cover it.

And to everyone eles thankyou also for your imput. Im glad Im not the only one having MORE than a "bad hair day"........more like "everyday"

Ive only regonize Neutrogena and Keretase, so will give those ago plus start taking oil capsules.

Im abit like Maximus - and CANNOT resist shampooing my hair everyday because I work out everyday, but I relise now Im just "stripping" the oil out of my hair making it feel "dry" and "course", sooooooo, note to one self, "must resist the shampoo, and just condition."

Also I think just buying supermarket shampoos and conditioners is my down fall. (you really dont know whats in them), and although I still dont buy the cheap brands, I will start buying my products from the salons and pay a little more in quolity.

Wow Maria! I can imagine the shock of your hair "actually" breaking off like that - I have some breakage, BUT that would just FREAK ME OUT!!! Im glad that problem is correcting itself.

Thanks again everyone
Marion

:)

I also have to wash everyday, despite my hairdresser's advice, but what I do is use a little bit of shampoo on the roots only & then condition. My hair is majorly frizzy & dry but the roots get oily. So imagine after a workout how gross it can get. UGGGGHHH!

I like Phyto, and Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitilizer. This by the way smells Great! My latest fave for deep conditioning is Fekkai Hair Mask with shea butter. I use this at night & rinse in the morning. My hair is a little flatter the next day but I consider it like a savings deposit since I will surely dry out my hair with all the blowdrying & flatironing I do each week.

Marla

Thanks Lorihart for the great tips. I also had some breakage on the left side of my head, I have no idea of how it happened. I too have an oily scalp but dry hair so it is hard to resist shampooing.

I once read to shampoo just your roots and while you are rinsing the shampoo sort of washes the rest of your head, but not so harshly. I do this sometimes.

I am going to check out drugstore.com, and I will by the bain de terre or whatever. I think they have that at the Sally beauty supply.

Have a great day,
Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.