Any depressed Spinach eaters?

sunnyside

Cathlete
I'm dying without my Spinach Salads!! Spinach has been my main Salad ingredient for along time. I also lived off of my Husbands famous fresh Spinach soup. Spinach lasted a good week for me in the fridge, it was so easy to make a quick salad or throw some on a sandwich. This is putting a real damper on my vegie eating.:( Actually, I now think all types of lettuce are tainted. It's aweful!

What are all you spinach eaters doing to get by?

me just stir frying up some veggies and eating fresh fruits and baby carrots. i haven't even touched any salads at all, spinach or no spinach. i am certainly paranoid, and so is my mom. her department lost some $$$ b/c kroger offered refunds on anything customers bought using fresh or bagged spinach. i am sure b/c of their williness to return money(this stuff runs nearly $4 a bag here)will help their business. nobody else around here was doing that. its shame b/c with my daughter's austim certian foods bothered her sensory issues, and she loves spinach salads.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

Way depressed here too...I sure wish this thing would be over. Spinach is absolutely delightful in my salad everyday. LOVE IT! I have been eating Popeye's brand out of the can...I know EWEWEWEWEEEEWWW! I love it slimy!

I'm devasted. I eat spinach every single day. My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that you're not supposed to eat ANY spinach, fresh or frozen, bagged or bulk. My store has removed all spinach. You cannot get it in any form around here.

I have been eating Romaine Lettuce salads and closing my eyes and pretending it's spinach. ;( A lot of our other mixed greens have disappeared from the shelf because the stores don't feel like dealing with whether or not spinach is in the mix or not.

I may just take a hiatus from healthing eating and eat just twinikies until this spinach crisis is over.}(

BTW: I think the FDA has warned against eating any fresh spinach...period.

>Shelley,
>
>They have pulled ALL fresh spinach here...bagged and not
>bagged. Horrible!

You are right. We are spinachless in Utah

Count me in as another disappointed spinach eater. I eat spinach salads daily for lunch. Has anyone heard anything about when this veggie might be making a comeback?:(

Have you checked any farmer's markets? I haven't had time to make it to any, but the produce is grown and distributed only locally, and they would probably have some greens that are safe to eat.

I'm totally bummed. I ate spinach at least twice a day. I considered it a staple of my daily diet. Spinach has so many redeeming qualities. In addition to spinach, I take greens+ http://www.greensplus.com in place of a daily multi. I'm wondering it this supplement will be effected? I just ordered a six month supply just in case!

The latest reports look very grim. The FDA can't pinpoint the source of the e-coli. It could be in the irrigation. Until then, the spinach crops will not be harvested.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/19/health/main2020591.shtml

>
>I may just take a hiatus from healthing eating and eat just
>twinikies until this spinach crisis is over.}(
>

Oh wait a minute....there may be a silver lining to no spinach after all! :9

Another Utah withdrawal victim. I bought my Earthbound Farms salad mix from Sam's the day the news broke. I have salad every day--it's been hard, because now all spinach is suspect.

Actually, I feel really bad for Earthbound Farms. I love their products--they're the freshest ones I've found in my area. I think they are a good, responsible company, and I hope this whole mess doesn't put them out of business. And, of course, I hope more people don't get sick.

Hopefully they'll find the source of the problem soon, and we can get back to our spinach staples.

Here's hoping,

Carol F

I just got a mix with different greener lettuces, cabbage, and carrots. I can live without the spinach for awhile.

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Well guys...I am thinking about growing some more...all my fresh spinach from the garden is reseeding itself down here. I figure if it stays in the 60s during the day and I cover them at night? Maybe it is a long shot...but it may be worth it.

Good Luck to all of us who are Spinachless...

I have been missing spinach something wicked as almost all other greens are far too bitter for me to eat happily. But, yesterday at Wegmans (upstate NY) I found "homegrown" spinach grown on a farm in Hornell. So I second the above suggestion to check out farmer's markets and produce stands. If all else fails, and you still have some fairly nice weather where you are, it doesn't take long at all for spinach to go from seed to "baby spinach" harvest. And it can be grown easily in patio or porch containers. Heck, even a windowsill will do the trick.
Mattea

All the spinach has been pulled off the shelves here bagged or fresh. Now we must be paraniod about vegetables. Perhaps we'll all be eating MREs one day....:(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.