Any Admin. Assts. out there?

kristi

Cathlete
I would like to say Happy Admininstrative Assistants Day! What is your boss going to do for you?

I've been with this advertising agency for 8 years in June and I feel like they could care less about me as a person. Today the only thing I got was a card from our General Manager, Sales Manager, and sales staff, and them saying Happy Admins Day as they walked out the door. Maybe I shouldn't be upset by this but obviously they have not put any thought into this because in the past myself and Office Manager would at least get lunch out of the deal, maybe a small bouquet of flowers delivered, or a cookie bouquet even though they knew I had gestational diabetes at the time and could not eat them. To make me feel even more disappointed, okay angry, is our sales staff gets a full day off, without using any vacation time, because they made their sales numbers for the month. I figure they could at least let myself and our office manager off an hour early at the end of our day. Yeah I guess I'm feeling very unappreciated. It seems that the only time I get any recognition is my annual review before they say what I need to improve on, which is literally nothing. They literally have to make stuff up. They don't even recognize any of the above and beyond projects I do without them asking.

Sorry to be such a downer!

I'm in the same boat as you, Kristi, believe me. (I didn't even get a card but the day is young.) The corporate world can be cruel.

Hey Kristi!

Well, you got more than I did! I got nothing, nada, bupkes. I doubt the guys I work for are even aware that it's Administrative Professionals Day. Ah well. I'm compensated well in other ways.:)

At least it is comforting to know that I am not alone. I guess the saying misery loves company is true in my case.

Got room for one more in that boat?

Sad to say but in this firm it's who you work for that you get recognized. And oh my, God forbid if you've worked with a not so nice person and you're no longer working with him/her, man will word get around quick to the next attorney about your professional skills even if problems that occurred were not your fault. And oh man, don't let the computer freeze on you, b/c they seem to think you did it, or the printer jammed and jammed and the repairman did not show up until two hrs. later, they swear you called the guy and said don't show up until after lunch....man don't get me started b/c I could go on forever.

Think I should look for another job?

http://www.PictureTrail.com/haydee1

Haydee

There is always room for more in our lifeboat. I've been contemplating leaving for years now. The people I work with are all superficial, with the exception of our Office Manager. She has been here 18 years and won't be able to retire for another 3-5 years. They treat her like she is a second class citizen even though she runs the show around here. Now ask me why I would ever want her job. There are a few reasons why I stay where I am. #1 Good luck finding a job that will pay me what I make now and hire me as an office manager without holding this title even though I on occasion do my office managers job. My title was just changed this January to asst office manager though. #2 My family's health insurance is through my work and DH's is so much more expensive. Finally #3 with having another baby on the way my options are limited. I am so looking forward to going on maternity leave in September.

Haydee I'm sorry to hear that they treat you this way!

Hi Ladies,

I just want to say I am sorry you are not appreciated today! I made sure I brought in our Admin Asst a card and I also bought her a candle and we are taking her to lunch. She does great things, even though she has medical problems and is confined to her chair most the day. Some people complain about that, but she gets the job done, and done well and that is what matters.

The day is young and I hope you get some recognition by 5pm!!!!

Beverly

Hi there,

I am so sorry for everybody where the company does not appreciate what good of a job you do.

I got an email from everybody and when they suprised us with a cake, a card for everybody, signed by everybody and a little plant we can put on our desk. It was really sweet!!!! :) :) :)

I support 3 people directly and about 10 indirectly...one girl came by and gave me a card. Other than that, it will probably go un-noticed. BUT they were so supporting with my father's illness and passing (gave me extra bereavement time because I didn't have PTO) that I can't complain.

Colleen

I'm sorry for all of you that work for/with such inconsiderate people!!! It sucks when you work so hard and all your efforts go unrecognized. Especially (at least in most cases) the office/organization would not function without us.

I'm actually very lucky. My boss was out of the office on Mon morning and she called to wish me a "Happy Week". We are having a luncheon tomorrow. I consider myself very lucky to have such a great boss - she always gives me little gifts or cards to thank me for all my hard work.

Happy Admin's Day!

I support the VP and 3 associate directors and I received the most beautiful bouquet of flowers today. It was a pleasant surprise.
(Usually I'm the one sending the flowers.)
Have a great day!
harleygirl

I'm with you Haydee in eating my words. When I came back to the office from taking photos for our national clients I had a coffee cup with goodies inside wrapped up with a balloon attached. I guess it is safe to say I'm not upset anymore. It is always nice to be thought kindly of especially since we do work so hard. I hope everyone else receives some goodies too!

Well, I just came back at lunch to a nice bouquet from one of the account supervisors. Gave me a smile since I'm having a yucky day personally.

Colleen

See you all complaint to early, they all love you!!! ;-)

Shelley I am sorry you still got nothing. Have a HAPPY ADMIN DAY and we all appreciate you very much!!!!!

Kristine

Thanks Kristine! I'm okay with it. I get compensated well in many ways here, so I don't mind so much not being given flowers or whatever today.:)

Am I the only one here who finds Admin. Prof. Day kind of demeaning? It's such a contrived holiday invented by greeting card companies (right up there with Granparents Day and Boss' Day). I feel like it's saying "hey, we can treat you like crap all year, but here's some flowers and a scented candle - now we're even!"

It just seems weird to me to be singled out for doing what they pay me for. It's nice to be appreciated, but the gift of money I got made me uncomfortable. Especially because I make more than most of the people that contributed to my gift.

I think my sister does it right - she gave her secretary a bunch of flowers and told her to go home at noon.

Hey if it gets me flowers I'll put up with demeaning!!! And I got flowers!!! Even nicer was an intercom call to tell me I was really appreciated for all the work I do. What a great boss!

Trish

I'm sorry that so many were not recognized for all the hard work. I'm not an admin assistant but my bosses still recognize me each year. Last year it was a $100 gift card to a day spa and this year they gave me a 1 lb box of see's candy (didn't need this) and a $100 gift card for the mall. They are the most generous group of owners and I feel fortunate to work for them.

Laurie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.