Amenorrhea Recovery

RubySue78

Has anyone had Amenorrhea and successfully recovered whilst still lifting weights/strength training? Can you tell me what you did specifically? Obviously increasing calories around training days..
I would like to even hear from those who have successfully recovered from Amenorrhea and what you did.

I had amenorrhea for 10+ years I was extremely lean but to be honest I didn’t feel like I over exercised but I lacked recovery. My diet was very strict. My periods did eventually come back once I gained some body fat. I cut back on the intense cardio and just ate more, mostly in healthy fats. Gaining body fat is key. It took quite some time for my body to recover but it is possible

I had amenorrhea for 10+ years I was extremely lean but to be honest I didn’t feel like I over exercised but I lacked recovery. My diet was very strict. My periods did eventually come back once I gained some body fat. I cut back on the intense cardio and just ate more, mostly in healthy fats. Gaining body fat is key. It took quite some time for my body to recover but it is possible
KarieH34 - Thank you for the response. I just sent you a PM.

@RubySue78 , if you have the resources available, it's a good idea to get blood tests to see where your hormones are at. You might think it's one thing, but it could actually be something else (speaking from personal experience). Irregular or absence of cycles can happen for many reasons and it can happen to women of all shapes, sizes, activity levels. Knowing what your actual hormone levels are (Reproductive and others, like cortisol) can help you and a trusted healthcare provider develop a plan for your unique needs.

@RubySue78 , if you have the resources available, it's a good idea to get blood tests to see where your hormones are at. You might think it's one thing, but it could actually be something else (speaking from personal experience). Irregular or absence of cycles can happen for many reasons and it can happen to women of all shapes, sizes, activity levels. Knowing what your actual hormone levels are (Reproductive and others, like cortisol) can help you and a trusted healthcare provider develop a plan for your unique needs.
Lisa -
I am well aware of all the resources available online - such as No Period Now What being one. I do not have enough hormones in my system to even register on a blood test. No I am not in meopause, nor am I hyperthyroid. As for developing a plan for my unique needs, I am Type 2 Diabetic and have to be very low carb almost Ketogenic. That being said I love exercise and it is very good for my insulin levels. I was hoping to hear from other women about how thye dealt with Amenorrhea and kept up exercise.
Thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.