Almond flour vs soy flour advice

Spinnergirl

Cathlete
I'm cutting back on my white flour and sugars and I'm starting to try some recipes with almond flour--I've got recipes with soy flour but it's definitely an acquired taste though I'm trying to incorporate it into some of my cooking. I'm just wondering can you mix soy with another type of flour to adjust the taste of the soy??

I'm just trying to cut back on my white flour and sugars so it's a work in progress.

Thanks!!

Mary:)

I think mixing those two particular flours would work okay. The almond flour may be a bit heavier than the soy flour. You might get some xanthan gum powder and add 1/8 tsp to your recipe to lighten it up a bit. Xanthan gum is a natural product made from seaweed.

My experience with these kinds of flours comes from being born with a condition called non-tropical celiac sprue, which means I cannot eat gluten-containing grains such as wheat, rye, barley, spelt, kamut, etc.

You might check out some of the gluten-free flour mixes at www.kinnikinnick.com. Sometimes these are available in local health food stores as well. Kinnikinnick makes a Brown Sandwich Bread with brown and white rice flours, tapioca starch, flax seeds, and pea protein/fiber. The bread is vitamin-fortified and one slice has 70 calories. Not 100% "clean," but typical whole grains, aside from rice, are not an option for me.

I find these pre-made GF breads are very good in moderation for convenience, for lunches. GF breads are very dense and I never want two slices - I eat all my sandwiches open-faced. This bread is much better when you toast it (med. dark to dark) before applying your toppings. For dinners, I have more time to cook brown rice or quinoa pilafs, etc.

HTH,

Kristina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.