Almond Butter vs. Peanut Butter...

gwm99

Hi...

I have heard people on this forum and others talk about using organic almond butter. Can anyone tell me what the benefits are over using regular peanut butter?

I've seen a few posts mention having it on whole wheat crackers. Sounds delicious, but also very high in fat and calories. Would it be considered part of the 'clean eating' diet?

Just curious!

Thanks!

- Jackie

Hiya Jackie,

Almonds are one of the most nutritious nuts out there - they're rich in vitamin E, selenium, magnesium and recent research has found they're full of antioxidants too.

There's some debate as to whether you get as much nutritional benefit from almonds in butter form than you would from handful of raw ones, but I'd still consider it part of a clean eatin' diet. Full of protein, good fats, plus filling and convenient!

The key, as with all nut butters, is to watch your portion size and try to find a natural butter with simply "nuts" on the ingredient list. As soon as you buy a butter with hydrogendated oils or added sugar, you're drowning out all the health benefits.

One benefit of almond butter over peanut is it just tastes mighty wholesome! It's a different texture to PB but lovely and mild, and naturally sweet :)

I recently purchased a jar at my local natural/health food store.
I haven't tried it yet, wanted to dig into the cashew butter first. This is also very yummy and good for you!

I love almond butter. I use the "do it yourself grinder" at the Good Earth store. It's just a machine with almonds in it and you put your little container under the spout and turn it on. It grinds it right there, fresh and no additives. Comes out nice and warm and smells wonderful.:)

It doesn't spread like store bought peanut butter, it's alot thicker.

It's great on Apple slices, protein pancakes, crackers, etc.

Peanuts are often contaminated with aflatoxin, though in levels that the US govt. considers "acceptable." I've also recently read that they contain another carcinogenic substance, so they are not the best choice.

Shauny already gave you the nutritional info for almond butter.

You can buy almond butter (best if raw) at health food stores, or online (for example, from www.livingtreecommunity.com or www.sunorganicfarm.com ). If you have a juicer like a Green Star or another one that can homogenize foods, you can even make your own by running some soaked raw almonds through.

As for 'clean eating,' different people have different perceptions of it, but I feel that natural, raw, plant-based fats are an important and good part of a healthy diet. It's when these fats are heated and the fat-digesting enzymes that they contain are destroyed, that they are not as good.

Along with what Kathryn is saying, peanuts are very moldy. (If you don't believe me, look at the peanut shell, it is full of mold.) Almond butter is much better for you than peanut butter. I have stopped feeding my children pb&j due to the high mold in peanuts.
We still have pbj every once in awhile, but not as often.

Sara
http://www.picturetrail.com/saraburnham1

Why would a peanut be contaminated and not an almond? What is the carcinogenic substance?

Hmm never seen mold in peanuts but then again I don't eat them terribly often. I like peanut butter and almond butter.

I get my almond butter at Trader Joes, comes in chunky or creamy. It is alot more expensive than peanut butter, but, it is soooooo delicios

Karen

>Why would a peanut be contaminated and not an almond? What
>is the carcinogenic substance?

I just read about the other carcinogen, so I'll have to find which book it was in and get back to you.

Aflatoxin affects peanuts because they grow on the ground (and are actually a legume, like peas, and not a nut).

>Along with what Kathryn is saying, peanuts are very moldy.
>(If you don't believe me, look at the peanut shell, it is full
>of mold.)

I think that carcinogenic substance might actually be associated with the mold (which may still be on peanuts, even if you don't see it).

I suspect you would have to eat a significant amount of peanuts, to point of pooping peanuts left and right and then some, to worry about carcinogens. I find peanut butter rich and it just doesn't seem possible to consume that much...unless of of course you are Elvis..who is dead but supposedly not from peanuts. But maybe as MR. Makey says "Peanuts are bad for you, m'kaay." ;)

>I suspect you would have to eat a significant amount of
>peanuts, to point of pooping peanuts left and right and then
>some, to worry about carcinogens.

That probably is true in most cases (though I'm sure individual tolerances for carcinogens vary). And there are four stages of cancer, only one of which is exposure to a carcinogen, and all four of which can be derailed before the cancer progresses.

In any case, I think it's good to vary foods, and we Americans tend to eat, for example, way too much wheat vs. other grains (which can lead to intolerances). I'm sure p.b. consumption is pretty high as well. Adding other nut butters to the diet in place of p.b. also makes for a better nutritional profile.

LOL about Elvis. And remember, those were probaly FRIED p.b. sandwiches!

To me Almond Butter is similar to pb in taste but with a little more mild flavor. I love both, but because of the fat rarely eat either.
Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.