After months of lurking, I'm finally joining you all

momto6

My name is Tracie and I have been reading the posts here for about 5 1/2 months. About 10 months ago I decided I needed to try and get into shape after having 6 children and not exercising regularly for about 12 years. I joined Curves and I also decided I wanted to get back into step aerobics. I discovered Cathe videos on the internet about 7 months ago, which I absolutely loved. I was doing the 3 tapes that I received faithfully for about 2 months (Step Heat, Step Jam, and Basic Step + Body Fusion) when I became pregnant with our 7th child. I continued to do the tapes and Curves until about 6 weeks ago when I decided to quit going to Curves until after the baby arrives because a few of the machines had become uncomfortable with my growing belly. Since I have never exercised before during a pregnancy I wasn't sure how much I should be doing and what aches and pains were "normal", which are mainly an occassional stretching feeling in my lower abdomen. I've really missed doing my tapes and have decided to get back to it. I don't want to gain tons of weight. I have done really well up until now. I have only gained 13 pounds and I was a full 26 pounds lighter at my 22 weeks check up than I was with my last baby 2 years ago. That being said, I need some of you "exercise experts" to let me know how you modify your workouts, if any, and what I should avoid, if anything, in doing the tapes that I have. If I decided to incorporate the weight training section in the Body Fusion tape, is there anything I need to avoid in the weight training section. I know that it is very basic but I just want to make sure.

I'm sorry this is soooo long:) I'm happy to finally be joining you ladies. Sorry it has taken me so long to identify myself. It just seemed like I never had the time to introduce myself but I finally decided to take the time. Thanks.

Welcome Tracie! Wow, pregnant with your 7th? Best of luck with this pregnancy.

I wish I could give you ideas about working out while pregnant but I am being lazy and not working out and this is my first. My doctor gave me a lot of ideas about what I could do-have you asked your doctor? I am pretty sure every pregnancy would be different. There are tons of great ladies here that keep working out with amazing intensities. I get home from work and am bum tired so I hardly do anything. I also am an accident prone klutz so my doctor nixed any step, aerobic, biking or the like.

I am sure you will get tons of great information from the brilliant ladies here. Again, welcome!

Welcome Tracie!

I do a variety of walking, jogging, aerobics and weight lifting. In the relm of any kind of aerobics I usually have a bit of lower abdominal stretching around where you get ligement pain. If it doesn't go away - especially in jogging, I quit whatever it is I was doing. Modifying is really from workout to workout.

Some of mine are:

~not going as deep in lunges and squats
~in jogging taking shorter strides to keep down impact, and jogging on flat or mostly flat ground that is paved
~weights are decreased slowly as I go along - my heaviest is 30 lbs for lower body
~taking the step to 10 or 8" on weight training
~taking the step to 6" on aerobics
~and the rest I find the body just tells me what I can and can not do
for that day.

HTH - I am sure others will have lots of good things to say as well, oh and congrats! We are due pretty close to each other I see! Oh and SIX kids already??? My grandmother had six, I don't know how she did it either! Good luck and make your DH get you a house maid for at least once a week ;-) !

RE: After months of lurking, I'm finally joining you al...

Hi Tracie
Congratulations on joining this forum.
I too recently joined and love all the information I'm picking up.
Have fun on your journey.

Welcome and Congratulations Tracie! I'm sure you will find lots of support & answers here. Everyone is very helpful and encouraging! :)

RE: After months of lurking, I'm finally joining you al...

Hi Tracie and welcome!

I am currently expecting my 6th.

I'd like to respond to your questions on how to modify, but it will have to be later as child #5 is being a "cling-on" right now, making it difficult to type.

Maggie:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.