Advanced exercisers: How long to show?

lcobb2

Cathlete
I'm in my 13th week (12 weeks, 3 days) and I'm not showing yet. I'm 35 and this is the longest I've been pregnant (I have no living children). I've heard that with the first viable baby, and if the mother is very fit (which I am), that it takes longer to show. How long was it until you started to show? I'm still in my "skinny" jeans.

24 weeks...but it wasn't until 7 months before others began noticing. To me, after 24 weeks things really sped up as far as growth went. I hear I'll probably show sooner with #2.:cool:

I started wearing maternity clothes at around 20 weeks....with my last pg I was showing already by 12 weeks!!!

Congrats on your pg!

I am pregnant with my first, and i'm currently 23 weeks. I consider myself advanced. I was wondering for a long time when i was going to show, and i didnt look pregnant for a long time.
Then, just overnite, a belly popped out. I started having to unbotton my top button of my pants around 20 weeks so i think its around then i started showing. give or take.

For me, with my first pregnancy, I popped overnight at 16 1/2 weeks. It was still a small bump, but with a tight shirt on people were noticing!

#3 due April 20th

I'm 13 weeks and dressed no one can tell. I have a tiny pooch though. With my first and second I'd say I was almost 5 months before you could tell. My goodness at 7 months I was HUGE!!!!!!! I don't know how I couldn't be showing then. I'll dig up some photos of my last pregnancy if you wanna peek. ha. I was working out regularly but hadn't found Cathe yet.

Depends ...

I was very fit with I got pregnant with both of mine. I could hide the first one until my 5th month. The second one ... well, let's just say that my ab muscles gave up faster and I showed quicker. Let's also say that my waist was never as small after that, but I have my two kids so that's what matters. :D

Good luck with this pregnancy!

I can't believe you guys! 2o weeks??!!! I'm 11 now and safety pinning my jeans. I had flat abs before, so I figured it was normal to be showing so early, although this is my third. I kind of remember my magic number being 12 weeks with the other 2. Guess I'm not as fit as I thought! I am resistant to maternity clothes, though, I looked at them last weekend and put them away, they are all very out of date and depressing. Looking forward to a little shopping!
shell

I'll dig up some photos of my last pregnancy if you wanna peek. ha. I was working out regularly but hadn't found Cathe yet.

I would love to see some photos. If you don't want to post them here, send them to me on my profile. Thanks bunches!!!

I remember with my first pregnancy, it took forever for me to show. People kept saying, "WHERE is the baby??" I also spotted badly the first trimester, and so I was extra worried. So I started eating to comfort myself and pretty soon I ate my way into larger clothes --thinking that the sooner I showed the more "real" the pregnancy would be. HA! If I hadn't have ate SOO much, I would have probably been close to 23 or so weeks before I really needed maternity clothes. With my second and third, I started showing VERY soon, like week 14.

Ahhh to still be able to wear "skinny jeans"!!! :) Enjoy it while you can!! :) Best wishes!!

laura -I'll try to get some up tomorrow for you :) Its kinda fun to look back anyway. That was a while back for me. I was only 23 then I'm 29 now! I still have yet to take a pic of me yet I need to get one started.

well ok. Looking back I guess I wasn't THAT huge. ha. I felt huge I guess. In fact I'm going to be a bit bigger this time I guess. I started out at about 120 lbs that pregnancy and I'm starting out about 130 this time. I'm 5'6". I only started getting back into a regular routine as of January this year and never got back down to 120. Part of that maybe that I may have more muscle now. The pics here were in my days of Tae Bo GR advanced and the Firm. I hadn't started Cathe till after baby. The two that are not labeled I'd guess those are 9 mo. I know the one in pink is. I chose tight clothes for the pics so you could see the belly better. I did gain a bit in the end due to my mom and my MIL being there feeding me tons of food and not letting me lift a finger lol! I also had to cut down my workouts due to having company and feeling like a beached whale. ;) I started walking mostly.
http://s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq69/sasha_bk/noah belly/

let me know if the link works ok. sorry for the pic quality those were all taken with a 1 megapixel camera. ha.

Last edited:
I am preg. with my first, 27 weeks. I began wearing maternity clothing around 5 months. Though a lot of my pre-pregnancy clothes where tighter in the tummy, and my boobs doubled in size, so some shirts were too tight to wear anymore.
For a while it I felt like people would look at me and think "did she gain weight or is she pregnant?" Now, you can definately tell I'm pregnant! Its wierd how just suddenly you'll begin to show! Quite amazing! Good Luck!

Ok, so I found some pics from 29 weeks, 35 weeks, 40 weeks, and 41 weeks. The last 2 were taken the night before I went into labor. It's like I literally grew a belly overnight at 24 weeks and got HUGE from there. I'm 5'0 and was 88 lbs pre-preg. My patients kept asking if I was really pregnant, then all of a sudden I was getting "are you sure there's only one in there?":eek:

I stressed a lot about my belly size throughout the pregnancy, but looking back, it was silly because now I have a beautiful and healthy baby!
:D
Good luck!

sorry about the undies - I'm never dressed at home lol

Attachments

• taylor newborn 001.jpg
    taylor newborn 001.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 33
  • taylor newborn 006.jpg
    taylor newborn 006.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 30
  • taylor newborn 007.jpg
    taylor newborn 007.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 26
  • taylor newborn 009.jpg
    taylor newborn 009.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 30
  • taylor newborn 010.jpg
    taylor newborn 010.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hmmm, I popped at 16 weeks. I had a flat, well muscled belly (won't claim a 6 pack, just nice definition) before I got pregnant. But I became SUPER bloated during my first trimester. And I've never been able to stand anything tight on my waist, so I started wearing preggo clothes at 7 weeks, once my pre-preg got tight.

I actually popped and looked pregnant at 16 weeks. I remember very clearly that it happened overnight!

Wow!

Ok, so I found some pics from 29 weeks, 35 weeks, 40 weeks, and 41 weeks. The last 2 were taken the night before I went into labor. It's like I literally grew a belly overnight at 24 weeks and got HUGE from there. I'm 5'0 and was 88 lbs pre-preg. My patients kept asking if I was really pregnant, then all of a sudden I was getting "are you sure there's only one in there?":eek:

I stressed a lot about my belly size throughout the pregnancy, but looking back, it was silly because now I have a beautiful and healthy baby!
:D
Good luck!

sorry about the undies - I'm never dressed at home lol

You look amazing! How much weight did you gain? You can't even tell you're pregnant from behind.

How long were you able to work? I'm thinking that I might have to get my clients on the "pin" machines rather than the machines that you have to stack the weight once I get really big.

You look amazing! How much weight did you gain? You can't even tell you're pregnant from behind.

How long were you able to work? I'm thinking that I might have to get my clients on the "pin" machines rather than the machines that you have to stack the weight once I get really big.

Thanks...I gained over 30 lbs I think. I worked until 38 weeks and would have worked one more except the therapist that was filling in for me came early so we were over-staffed (though I wasn't complaining about stopping a week early!!):p My clinic uses a lot of manual therapy as the basis for treatment programs, so after getting patients started on a home program and showing them how to use the machines, I didn't have to manage the exercise equipment very much. You may (or may not) find it more difficult with your situation.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.