Abs Question

Is there a benefit to keeping your knees together vs. apart when doing crunches?

Isn't it just anatomical differences that cause some people to be able to more comfortably/safely do them with legs together? Something to do with the way the pelvis and/or hips are set? Wider hips and certain knee settings can make "legs together" ab moves really uncomfortable. And possibly length of the bones, with much taller people likely able to keep legs together more easily, affects the ability?

I don't think that there is much difference in benefit to legs together over legs apart. Legs together will work the adductors a bit more and maybe hit the hip flexors harder. Legs separated would seem to rely a little more on the abductors/medial glutes. I focus on how I feel in the moment during ab work and adjust my leg position accordingly, personally. Sometimes legs closer to glutes and/or pinned together feels better for my back and gives my lower abs more focus, while at other times it's just the opposite. It depends on how tired and tight the hip flexors are, too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.