a new "A New Earth" thread

pixiesis

Cathlete
Hi all,

I wanted to start this thread because the other one got crazy. I know I took part in the craziness too, and I feel bad that the OP and others who were actually reading the book and were trying to have a conversation about it got stomped by us folks debating religion.

So, for this thread, I think it would be nice if it was limited to posters who are reading or who plan to read the book, that way we can actually talk about what the book has to say and not go way OT and whatnot. ;-)

I picked up the book yesterday and started reading it before bed. I had such a hard time putting it down! So far, it's really well done. I'm well into chapter 2. So here are some of my thoughts: I like his analysis of the history of humanity being a history of ego. Tolle seems to have an impressive knowledge base about many religious and philosophical traditions. He seems to be participating in the discussion in a thoughtful, analytic, and respectful way. I like how he tells us that identifying with wanting and having is the ego trying to maintain/expand its identity. I'm eager to find out how he thinks we can stop being controlled by ego.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether Tolle is using the classic mind/body dualism. Perhaps I just haven't read enough yet and it's more of an ego/self dualism, the self being made up of the body, soul, all that's left after removing the ego. I don't care for the mind/body dualism so much so I hope it's more than that.

Anyone else care to share? I'd especially like to hear from those doing the webclass because I'm curious whether it's really enhanced your experience with the book. If so, I'll try to join if it's not too late.

RE: a new

I would love to have a conversation with people who have actually read the book and with those interested in reading it...not to debate religion, since this book has nothing to do with religion! So, thanks for starting again!

I have enjoyed the book and the web classes. The web classes have enhanced my understanding of the book, too. I study Eastern Philosophy, which was written way before the Bible - 400 or 500 years BC, and a lot of western thought has been derived from that philosophy, just disguised in semantics.

I really enjoyed the section about parenting and just ""Be-ing there with my children in the present moment. Not thinking about what I have to do or what I have done, just BE in the moment and enjoy them now...it really has helped me enjoy that very moment much more fully! :)

I'm looking forward to this thread! I've had the book for a few weeks now, but haven't had a chance to start reading yet.

I'm also interested in hearing from those participating in the webclass and their thoughts on its correlation with the book.

I'm glad some people still want to discuss the book, because I do too! It really dawned on me last night while reading that the other thread's descent into argument so perfectly (and ironically) illustrated Tolle's notion of how the ego takes over and leads to misunderstandings and conflict, with others and within ourselves. In that thread, and in life in general, we become so defensive about anything we see as "me/mine" and it shuts us down from actual experience. I see this so clearly, but I don't know how to stop it. I hope he tells us!

>I'm glad some people still want to discuss the book, because
>I do too! It really dawned on me last night while reading
>that the other thread's descent into argument so perfectly
>(and ironically) illustrated Tolle's notion of how the ego
>takes over and leads to misunderstandings and conflict, with
>others and within ourselves. In that thread, and in life in
>general, we become so defensive about anything we see as
>"me/mine" and it shuts us down from actual experience. I see
>this so clearly, but I don't know how to stop it. I hope he
>tells us!

WOW! Well put!

Removing my yakking mind from every breathing moment is a challenge for me! Yet, I find, when I just look objectively at everyone at the supermarket today - just getting their flowers, food, chatting...as though I wouldn't see it again, or they had no identity assignment - it was a happy experience - just in the moment - how often do we ever have than, just in a parking lot?

I have recently finished reading the Power of Now and thoroughly enjoyed it. Living in the Now is such a powerful tool that eludes so many of us. I have been practising Living in the Now and have found it has done wonder for me. When I mentioned to my aunt, who had gone through cancer 2 years ago, about the Power of Now, she told me someone had given her Tolle's tapes when she was going through chemo, etc... and it was what helped her.

So now I'm interested in this book. I"m not sure what to do. So I guess I'll muddle through Altas Shrugged and then move on to this. Hopefully Beavs is joining me! Do you hear me Beavs???}(

Carolyn

Well, I already told you what you should do. Don't read the Rand. Rand is yucky. :p There, problem solved.

I picked up the book about a month ago and started reading but my 18 year old kidnapped it off of my bed side table and took it to Australia:p I'll have to wait until she comes home in June to finish it.
I like what I've read so far, it has a 'yoga' feel to it which is a good fit for me. I think it's very worth while to explore quieting ourselves to just 'be' and to observe thought instead of generating the inevitable mental chatter that is so self judging and distracting. Darned ego :) I'm looking forward to reading the book and hearing the reflections of it here and from my daughter.
Thanks for starting this thread Amy. I fell bad too about engaging in the other thread and apologise to the original poster for being part of the hijacking. Mea culpa! :)

Take Care
Laurie:)

Thank you so much for starting a new thread. My intentions for having started it in the first place was to connect with those who were also enjoying the book and Oprah's webcast. And who better than with my Cathe workout buddies!

I don't think it is necessary to read Tolle's previous book The Power of Now" first. However, "The Power of Now" gets you acquainted with egoic thoughts, and how it comes about, and how it interacts. "The New Earth", I think, expands on it.

I've started reading "The New Earth", and have only gotten through Chapter two, so I've fallen behind Oprah's webcast. I could listen to the audiobook to try to catch up. Although, I think actually reading it goes deeper.

I love both books and I definitely feel it is an important manual for living in these times...
I think there are golden nuggets in every sentence in those books. Enjoy! Edie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.