4 months and leaking...

giacchina

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-00 AT 05:32PM (EST)</font></center>

Okay, I've heard of urinary incontinence after pregnancy, but I'm only 3.5 months along. I've been doing Kegels for several years worth of red lights now (Anytime I find myself sitting at a red light, I do Kegels). It's not a problem until I sneeze standing up - then it becomes embarrassing in a millisecond (and allergy season is upon us). Is this normal, or am I doomed to buying two sizes of diapers after I deliver?

Also, I got a catalog in the mail that had an entire page of insertable devices (different shaped weights) for doing Kegels. Are they more effective than doing what I'm doing?

Hi Giacchina!

Hi,
Just wanted you to know that I had the leaking problem even before pregnancy. It didn't really get any worse after I had my baby. It was mainly when I sneezed or laughed, and of course, when I exercise. (Have you ever done Cathe's MIC Hi/Lo section? Heck, I have to change clothes in the middle of that one due to the leaking. But that tape is worth it because it's so much fun!)

Since you didn't have the problem before pregnancy and since you're doing kegels, I would say that this problem might disappear after your pregnancy. Probably just due to the extra pressure on your bladder at this time. I think you have alot of extra pressure on your bladder even as early as 3.5 months. (At least I did because I had to urinate constantly even at 3 months). So, this probably won't be a longterm problem for you. But keep on doing those kegels anyway! Good luck to you.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa

Lisa -

Thanks for your response - it makes me feel a little better. Last week, I was about to lock the door as I left for work, and one Ah-choo later, I'm back in the shower - nobody warned me about this!

Jackie

I had the exact same problem much earlier in my pregnancy than I would have expected. I recall reading somewhere that the same hormone that is responsible for keeping the smooth muscles of the uterus relaxed (so you don't have early contractions) can cause you to have trouble holding your bladder. My only advice is to try to go to the bathroom often and wear sanitary pads!

BTW, I've not experienced any further problems with leaking due to sneezing/jumping/etc. since having my baby, even though I have many Kegels to go before I get anywhere close to where I was before! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.