3rd or 4th month

S

sara

Hi Cathe! I have been told that I am not supposed to do abs on my back after the third month, which is in two weeks, but I read a message posted prior where you mentioned the 4th month. I just wanted to clear up which month it is and then find out what I can do for abs after that point. Also, this might be too much information to ask, but what was your training like during your pregnancy? Did you weight train throughout? I am just trying to get a feel for what to expect! Any information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!! Have a great day!
Regards, Sara :)

Hi Sara,

I am not Cathe, but I can answer your question regarding ab work on your back. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology(ACOG)guideline regarding supine (on your back) exercise states that "Women should avoid exercise in the supine position after the First Trimester." That translates to after the 13th week of pregnancy. Hope this helps.

Keep us posted.

Sheila Watkins

Sheila - I know understand the reason for the ACOG recommendation, but do you think its harmful if you do exercises in the supine position? I'm 18 weeks pregnant, and last night I did some crunches in the supine position, and it felt fine. I didn't get dizzy at all, in fact it felt pretty good to work my abs.

Is it dangerous? Or do they say that just due to the weight of the fetus pressing down, and the mother getting dizzy?

I definitely don't want to do anything to harm me/the baby, but if it feels okay to do, is it okay?

Thanks!
Anna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.