12" or 14" high step?

fargomom

Cathlete
I'm thinking about adding the highstep to my Christmas list, but my question is which one? The 12" or the 14" step? I currently own the smaller size step, so if I owned the high step it would be a stand alone item, I wouldn't be able to swap the risers from my step to the high step. Do most of Cathe's dvds use the 12 or the 14 inch size high step? Or is it a personal preference? Was anyone else in this same boat -- what did you decide? TIA for help! :p

I have found when it comes to using a step, either for regular step workouts or the high step for leg presses, it can depend greatly on your height.

I am 5'7" so for me to get the correct leg alignment and get the most out of leg presses, I would get the 14" step.

Hi Debbie,

I am 5 feet tall and use both the 12 and 14 inch step.

I do much better with the 12 inch step since I can focus on form.

It just depends on how I feel and which workout I am doing on a given day.

Yes Amy, I think for a shorter person the 12 or 14 inches would be totally up to them. For me being taller, the lower step doesn't incorporate my glutes like the taller step. In fact, back when I was doing the Firm workouts and they came out with the leg presses, I believe they were using a 16" or 17" step. I made one myself out of lumber and loved the height. In fact, I should check into doing that again since I no longer have that step. Even the 14" step I bend my stationary leg quite a bit to get the full benefit of the leg press.

the way I look at it is that you can always use the lower step if you need or want to, but if you don't have more risers you can't go up! :) Also, as you get stronger, more height will be needed to continue progress, so I say the higher the better! It costs less to buy them up front than to purchase additional risers later and not have them when you need/want them...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.