Running shoes to lift

Sheree81

Hi all!

I finally found a pair of sneakers that don’t make my feet hurt, Hoka. But now I’ve learned I shouldn’t lift in them, and I’m sad. I’m fairly new to Cathe and can’t believe what a revelation she is! Do any of you do Cathe workouts in squishy sneakers? Maybe I shouldn’t do heavy lifting like I see in the gym in them? Like squats or deadlifts with the super heavy barbells?

Thanks!

So are you lifting super heavy in a gym, or just doing Cathe?
If you are doing Cathe lifting, wear whatever shoes feel comfy.

If you are super heavy lifting, in a gym, with the big Olympic style bars, you would be better served with a flat shoe, like Chucks, Reebok Nanos, that sort of thing.

I have to wear running shoes for everything (per my podiatrist) as I have problem feet. I've been doing a variety of Cathe workouts in them for over a year and haven't had any issues, minus the occasional cardio clumsiness.

So are you lifting super heavy in a gym, or just doing Cathe?
If you are doing Cathe lifting, wear whatever shoes feel comfy.

If you are super heavy lifting, in a gym, with the big Olympic style bars, you would be better served with a flat shoe, like Chucks, Reebok Nanos, that sort of thing.
Just Cathe, no heavy gym lifting. Ok good, I’ll keep wearing my comfy Hoka’s.

I have to wear running shoes for everything (per my podiatrist) as I have problem feet. I've been doing a variety of Cathe workouts in them for over a year and haven't had any issues, minus the occasional cardio clumsiness.
Ok, this is good to know. Thanks so much! Gonna keep my comfy sneakers.

Hoka's are great for Cathe! I have 2 pair and wear one to work and one for walking. Love them!
And you still feel the "burn" on strength workouts that are heavy on the legs? I did a Cathe metabolic workout in my Hoka's and def still felt the squats and deadlifts. I made the mistake of asking this question in a FB group and they've been arguing me up and down all day that I can't do any lifting in these sneakers. I really think I'll be ok though...

Right now I'm doing super heavy lifting so I'm wearing my Nanos.
But when I do Cathe, I wear more cushioned shoes, usually Rykas. I can feel the burn just fine.

Ohhh that's terrific, I'm so glad other people do, too. My friends think I'm nuts for working out barefoot at home, but it feels natural to me. Even stepping.

I used to fuss with my shoes all the time 'cause they bugged me then finally one day I took them off and that was it.

What about everyone else?

I was already used to doing Yoga and Pilates workouts barefoot so pretty much just continued working out barefoot with other workouts. I have tried wearing shoes but find my sensory perception of what my feet are doing is better if I'm barefoot. Especially for Step workouts I found wearing shoes was a problem as I tended to slip off the step more. The shoes somewhat masked exactly where my foot was on the step. In bare feet I can tell if I'm stepping too close to the edge. And I haven't had any blisters working out barefoot.

I was already used to doing Yoga and Pilates workouts barefoot so pretty much just continued working out barefoot with other workouts. I have tried wearing shoes but find my sensory perception of what my feet are doing is better if I'm barefoot. Especially for Step workouts I found wearing shoes was a problem as I tended to slip off the step more. The shoes somewhat masked exactly where my foot was on the step. In bare feet I can tell if I'm stepping too close to the edge. And I haven't had any blisters working out barefoot.

I know exactly what you mean :)

I love Hoka One One shoes! It’s all I can wear now since I injured my heel (heel bruise aka a fracture). I wear mine to lift, no problem. Granted, I own several pairs, and each are different, but I use them to run, lift, step, HIIT, everything. Not sure why you can’t lift in them though. I guess it depends on which ones you’re using? I mainly use my Bondi and they’re pretty sturdy. My others are “lighter”, good for running or walking.

Lifting super heavy, like in a gym, you want no cushion to lift cause you want the stability. You need the flat bottoms without the cushion to be as stable as you can be.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.