Please talk to me about nutrition/diet & why weights are good for women.

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi girls ... in advance, sorry this is so long. I need to get this all off my chest though and get it written down somewhere where I know I will get awesome feedback and help :)

Ive been absent from the forums for a while but seeing as how fall is officially here (I am so excited) I find myself forecasting a lot more time spent working out instead of lounging out.

I have spent the last few months doing FIRM workouts as I was starting to feel really burnt out on Step. It is nice to be FIRMing again as those were my first introductions to the fitness world and I do enjoy them.

I MISS WORKING OUT WITH CATHE THOUGH!!

I really need to get back on track with my fitness routine. I also need help overcoming this mentality that I'm having right now - I am getting the dreaded "bloat" in my thighs. I have been doing a lot of the shorter FIRM workouts that incorporate lots of plyo moves and are just higher-intensity shorter style, I've been doing the Firm Express and the new Zip Trainer workouts).

Now I *KNOW* that weights and squats are good for me! I know it. I really do. But I cant help that I am panicking right now and wanting to run like hell to the closest pilates/barre/fusion workout rotation, LOL.

My body, in the past, responded MIRACULOUSLY to heavy weights (I did FIRM for cardion and followed the BFFM weights plan, and loosely followed that eating plan - my diet still needed a lot of work). But I don't remember getting the bloat!

I want to re-purchase Xtrain and LIS, and find a way to work those workouts in with HoCo, The FIRM ...

Also - I need to figure out a way to reign in my eating. My diet is not clean right now. I am on a very limited food budget for the next few months, until about the 1st of the year (well, limited budget for everything honestly!) so I have been finding myself eating a lot of processed food that is cheap & easy to make/cart with me to work, such as:

- Quaker instant oatmeal
- campbells chicken noodle soup
- Fiber 1 Protein bars
- Safeway Organic Salads

and for dinner I've been eating:

- Mcdonalds (not going to lie)
- Subway (I do not "eat fresh" here lol)
- Frozen "family" dinners (lasagna, stuffed peppers, etc)
- Eggo Waffles w/ syrup
- Cheese Ravioli
- Dominos pizza
- Frappacinos
- Lucky Charms

So... obviously I need a lot of diet help. The good news is lately I have had a change in my thoughts and have found myself really wanting to eat for HEALTH and not just for fatloss. But I also want to lose fat. I really do. But I have re-addicted myself to all this CRAP and having a very hard time getting away from it.

I think the easiest thing for me to do would be to get some food items that are SIMPLE, EASY, and I CAN EAT every day - for like 2 weeks. Something with NO THOUGHT required. Ive been thinking of a protein shake system or something but they are kind of expensive I think? Or like NutriSystem? But that is maybe expensive too.

Anyway - I need help. (Obviously, lol). I feel like I just poured my heart out to an CA meeting lol. (CA...Cathletes Anonymous, haha).

Any words of encouragement, suggestions, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Right now Xtrain is on sale at Collage video for $75 ( saw this posted on VFF) so run to that sight if you want an extraordinary deal.

I always find that if I start working out (or up my workout game) my eating follows (cleaner, leaner). So for me, although I want to do everything all at once, I know that if I just work out the way I want to, eventually (sometimes after a few days, sometimes a few weeks) my eating will naturally fall in line. If I tried to do both at the same time, I'd fail because I'd be too overwhelmed. So my advice would be to either start working out or start eating clean and give yourself up to a month and see how it goes. My guess is that you'll start having the urge to make your overall life as healthy as possible and will find yourself eating well and moving more before you know it.

Good luck!

I highly recommend Nutrisystem. I was like you, finding it very difficult to control the bloat in my lower body and was eating crap. I've been on Nutrisystem for just shy of 4 months and I've gone from 185 to 159 (only 9 lbs away from my doctor's recommend goal weight for me), and I always struggle with weight loss. I'm a busy lawyer who doesn't have time to cook and can't afford to eat vegan (Whole Foods prices are insane), but Nutrisystem is quick, simple and helps me to control portions, but still allows me to have a weekly cheat meal. I also don't kill myself working out like I used to and still got better results.

Sherry - thanks for that feedback. I think I might end up giving NS a try. Sidebar, but does your "Crj" in your name stand for Criminal Justice? I am getting ready to apply for my Masters in CJ at WSU. :)

Trixoo - that is a good point. Thanks for sharing :)

Sherry - thanks for that feedback. I think I might end up giving NS a try. Sidebar, but does your "Crj" in your name stand for Criminal Justice? I am getting ready to apply for my Masters in CJ at WSU. :) Trixoo - that is a good point. Thanks for sharing :)

No problem and you are correct: I have my BA in Criminal Justice, UNLV Class of 2002. :) You're the only person who has ever guessed correctly what it stood for! lol Hope you get into the masters program!

Last edited:
Do you have co-op sites by you such as "Bountiful Baskets" (BB) or "Market on the Move" (MOM) or even year round produce bulk delivery? Google them.

BB is a weekly basket of produce I pick up for $15. Each week is different and unknown what I will receive. It is usually worth more than $15 if I went to the local supermarket and it "forces" me to try new items I normally wouldn't have. It is also enough to usually last me and sometimes my SO for an entire week depending on the items that week. For instance this week I received butter lettuce, carrots, celery, peaches, pomegranites, bananas, tomatoes, onions, pineapple, mushrooms. (and there are times where 90% of what I eat the entire week is from the BB). I HATE wasting food so I am always sure to eat my BB or freeze it for later use. Today I made a meatless lentil sloppy Joes in the slow cooker with all the ingredients from BB and will have plenty of leftovers for more sloppy joes or will add more Homemade broth (from the BB items) to make a hearty stew. The BB also has "add on baskets" for purchase such as "juice basket", "veggie basket", "fruit basket", "Mexican basket" and more.

MOM is a place to buy 60lbs of produce for $10. Unlike BB above, you go to the set up with a large box and pick what you want. The key here is they are usually all ripe right now so can, preserve, freeze, eat within a few days. There can be a line at some sites.

BULK year round produce is where trucks come in with major ripe yummy items picked from the farm the night before. For instance this week I got 64 lbs peaches, 32 nectarines and 100 lbs tomatoes are coming my way next week. They also have apples and carrots and pears.... Mine happen to be trucked in from Utah. I freeze/preserve all of this for year round use.

I have always thought I ate healthy. I didn't eat salt, butter, thick sauces. Ate good portions, etc. However it was all processed, convenient and cheap. I never thought anything of it. Then I "accidentally" ate clean for a week and WOW, I can't even describe the difference. I never felt sick or bloated or run down before, at least I didn't know I did until I "accidentally" ate clean. I got by on so much less sleep, was alert, didn't crave crap, skin was glowing, no bloating or fullness after a meal, etc. Sounds dumb, but I just thought that since I didn't binge on food, I was eating healthy. And the reason I accidentally ate clean was through a BB. I got my BB and an add on but my SO went out of town so I had to eat both all on my own. I also didn't feel like cooking (I live in the desert where it gets upper 118 degrees), so I ate everything raw or minimally steamed. I have always had hard abs, but now you could actually see them! I didn't realize I had a perpetual minor bloat on my belly.

Also, Every single scrap of veggie (stems, ends, outer skin, shreds, etc), I save and freeze and then make the simplest and best tasting homemade vegetable stock for stews, quinoa, soups, dressings, sauteing liquid, etc. Some of this prep is time consuming, but once prepped, you will have healthy items on hand and not grab a Fiber One bar!

I hope this helps you on the food side of your question. Good luck.

Right now Xtrain is on sale at Collage video for $75 ( saw this posted on VFF) so run to that sight if you want an extraordinary deal. I always find that if I start working out (or up my workout game) my eating follows (cleaner, leaner). So for me, although I want to do everything all at once, I know that if I just work out the way I want to, eventually (sometimes after a few days, sometimes a few weeks) my eating will naturally fall in line. If I tried to do both at the same time, I'd fail because I'd be too overwhelmed. So my advice would be to either start working out or start eating clean and give yourself up to a month and see how it goes. My guess is that you'll start having the urge to make your overall life as healthy as possible and will find yourself eating well and moving more before you know it. Good luck!
Can I get a link to the xtrain series on collage. I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Gobias - thanks for sharing that experience. I used to live in AZ too and I sometimes miss it terribly (mainly when someone else tells me they live there!) and I also totally get what you mean about not wanting to cook, LOL.

I do have something like this put on by one of the local farms in my area. The only concern I have, and this is me being totally honest with myself, is that I do not know how to cook and I don't think I could/would get the full use out of everything. I mean, the things that can be eaten alone - like fruit or carrots, those would be OK. But really, I know NOTHING about cooking. At all. I've only cooked chicken breasts like 4 times in my whole life. Sad but true. And I have a very busy schedule due to my job so I feel like the prep time would kill me.

The one thing that might work, I just thought of, is to use those items in a daily green juice drink. I have been eyeing the NutriBullet. I bet I could use most of the veggies that way, and just have a green drink each morning.

Op you all ready know that your diet isn't the best - you are eating way to much package foods/fast food which is loaded with SALT=BLOAT ;) I actually eat healthy nuts, fruits, home cook meals but would take a Lean Cuisine to work for dinner. I started looking at the salt content way to much. I stopped all package meals even if label healthy, light. I lost 4 pounds of water the first week.

I'm not in fitness model shape I lift heavy but I am not looking for a 6 pack abs. I have flat abs and still enough body fat so I actually have boobs LOL

I'm a pear so I've never been top heavy. I have bubble butt and could be fitness tight if I loose about a inch of my thighs, butt, stomach but then I would have to really cut calories and with my body I would loose the boobs way before the bottom slimmed off. (fitness tight me 32 B cup a little body fat 32 DD :D)

I don't know your age but if your under 35 you can get away with a some junk in your diet but the closer to 40 every doughnut, coke, chips goes to your hips and abs :mad:

For me healthy eating is about training the brain to enjoy things in their natural state. The more junk you eat the more junk you'll want to eat. Mentally you need to be ready to suffer for a little bit of time while your brain detoxes from all the added sugar, salt and greasy saturated fats. The good news is that it's possible and in time lean meats, veggies and healthy fats will taste even better to you! (Not gonna lie- I am and will always be an ice cream junkie :p)

Maybe you should take the diet clean up in phases. Start with- "okay, not getting ANY fast food this week." Maybe your dinner is still cereal at first, but at least it isn't a big mac and fries (wink!) Start adding in fruits and veggies. Instead of sugary instant oatmeal make a batch of steel cut oats. Make enough for a week and then refrigerate. You can heat it up and add your own cinnamon, berries, granola. Buy veggies and have them cut up and ready to grab for work so that you don't always have to reach for packaged foods. Hard boil enough eggs for the full week. All of these healthy habits require very little "cooking" ability so you don't have to worry about tricky preperation. You never know, maybe you'll start experimenting with more recipes once you get the hang of the simpler things.

However you choose to attack this, I wish you good luck and know we are always here for support ;)

We are what we eat

I am not going to repeat what has already been previously posted

"You are what you eat" this has been said over and over again by many people, including Gillian Mckeith scottish nutritionist.

junk food do lodge in hips and thigh regardless of the age!:D:D
The consequences are just more aggravated after thirties cause the loss of muscle mass increase.

Nutrition is super important. let's not get deluded:p:p:rolleyes:
Gaining, keeping/maintaining a lean physique is about a complete lifestyle change not a phase. It require a no going back decision.

All the best every one!

Last edited:
Getting back on track

For me healthy eating is about training the brain to enjoy things in their natural state. The more junk you eat the more junk you'll want to eat. Mentally you need to be ready to suffer for a little bit of time while your brain detoxes from all the added sugar, salt and greasy saturated fats. The good news is that it's possible and in time lean meats, veggies and healthy fats will taste even better to you! (Not gonna lie- I am and will always be an ice cream junkie :p)

I am not going to lie- I love my Belgian waffle and the 80%-90% dark chocolate. I can live months without a square of chocolate. I had waffles this week end while I was out ;). I am going to regret cause it's done and I am back on my routine.

Funnily I could not stop drinking water:D:D:D:D. Well that is a sign my tongue is no longer accustomed to be fully loaded with sugar!

I am not going to repeat what has already been previously posted

"You are what you eat" this has been said over and over again by many people, including Gillian Mckeith scottish nutritionist.

junk food do lodge in hips and thigh regardless of the age!:D:D
The consequences are just more aggravated after thirties cause the loss of muscle mass increase.

Nutrition is super important. let's not get deluded:p:p:rolleyes:
Gaining, keeping/maintaining a lean physique is about a complete lifestyle change not a phase. It require a no going back decision.

All the best every one!

I love Gillian McKeith! When we had cable, I always recorded "You Are What You Eat".

part I

a way to reign in my eating:

1. Try Renee Stephen’s Inside out weight loss Podcast, its free, has great techniques for managing food addictions, and is very effective at dealing with cravings. I use the ‘Re-do’ technique to help eliminate or reduce the effect certain foods have on me. Works for all kinds of things including situational eating, like I eat when stressed. What you do is imagine what you wished you had done, see yourself in your mind’s eye doing the right thing. Do this for the last 5 minutes before you go to bed for about 3-4 nights in a row, and it will seem like its magically gone.

What helps me with reigning in eating is a daily weigh in. That way I know I don’t get to cheat, because it will show up the next day. I think of it as accountability. I don’t know if that would work for you.

cheap & easy to make/cart with me to work, such as:

- Quaker instant oatmeal- Don’t do these, they make me fat very quickly. I don’t know why, but it just does.

- campbells chicken noodle soup: Do not eat these. They are full of MSG and sodium. They could be responsible for the bloat, not your workout.

- Fiber 1 Protein bars: Not bad. Ok. Not perfect, but not bad at all.
- Safeway Organic Salads- Ok. Actually, better than ok. Just fine even.

and for dinner I've been eating:

First off: Me too!!

But, here is where all of my experience will come in: I have been heavier, I have been thinner, and I'm working on losing again.

My personal experience is that I put on muscle weight when I do plyo based workouts. I am naturally bigger boned, I am 5'2" and I wear a size 9 shoe, just to give you an idea. So, no, I do not recommend plyo based workouts to reduce size and body fat. I do recommend lower impact, closer to a LSB (Long slow boring) style workout (45 to 60 min.) Now, I realize that seems daunting. But, don't go for the fast cheap thrill. We will work in some intervals, just not with plyos. Thats where the great LIS series comes in (why did you sell it??? silly girl!)

As for what you said about 'run like hell', well, what I'm going to suggest is just that: run like hell. Running seems to work best for thinning out the lower body. Why? I have no idea. It just does. I like intervals about 1-2 minutes with walking at a pace that keeps the heart rate above 75% for 30-45 minute total. Can be on a treadmill, can be outside. Be safe, of course. I just jog in my neighborhood, I don't know if that would work for you. Btw, with good jogging form you won't have the dreaded bloat in the thigh, unlike plyo based workouts. Do this 1-3x/week, never two days in a row, you always need at least one day of rest between to recover and heal.

I love the pilattes/ballet/barre based workouts. There is nothing wrong with body weight workouts. I'm also fond of kettlebells. I find that they build muscle and provide a great, low impact cardio burn, that can also be very intense. Its like the best of both worlds. I actually like Jillian Micheals' Shred it with Weights, but not every body likes her, so its just whatever your taste is. Its usually cheap on Collage.

For the eats:

- Mcdonalds - The new smoothies aren’t bad.

- Subway (I do not "eat fresh" here lol)- The double or single chicken salad with oil/vinegar or mayo as dressing is just fine. No problems. I don’t eat their bread, I find that anything with dough conditioners plump me. I don’t know if it will plump you too. Drink milk or water, get the sun chips. For some reason the Sun chips don’t plump me personally, I don’t know what the deal is there.

- Frozen "family" dinners (lasagna, stuffed peppers, etc)- Not always terrible. Just watch portion size. The sodium can be an issue for bloat.

- Eggo Waffles w/ syrup: Watch the syrup, it is extremely glycemic. Would you consider a pat of real butter? The calories aren’t the issue, the sugar is.

- Cheese Ravioli- Good, nothing wrong here. I love ravioli!!

- Dominos pizza- No, just no. If you want pizza get some whole wheat bread, slather it with a little cream cheese, top with favorite pizza topping, toast in toaster oven 10 min. at about 325 deg. Its like instant pizza, tastes great, and no guilt. You can even have the cheese. You need to know that Dominos does not use real cheese, its cheese ‘product’. Not food. When its not food, don’t eat it.

- Frappacinos- Super high in calories. I make my own caffeine drinks, its cheaper, and I get to control how much sugar is in it. You can switch to plain coffee, but it looks like you need both sugar/caffeine.

- Lucky Charms- Nope. Super high in sugar and causes insulin resistance in rats. Rats will kill for fruit loops (the evil Irish cousin of the Lucky Charm from America lol). I did not make this up. Go for plain cheerios, cheap, easy, not hard to eat.

SIMPLE, EASY, and I CAN EAT every day - for like 2 weeks.
NO THOUGHT required.
QUOTE]

Part II

Now, what to do??? right?

Number 1: The diet is the culprit. Not your workouts.

Go for:

More of those organic salads- excellent choice
A non-super sweet cereal- oat meal is best, but cold cereals aren't the devil.

If you cook your own pasta you will get a lot more bang for your buck. Whole wheat organic pasta is very close in price to regular pasta. Boil water in microwave in a large bowl with a piece of plastic wrap to keep the steam in. Add pasta (I like Trader's), top with Rinaldi pasta sauce (cheap and not full of junk.) And, voila enough pasta to feed four people. About 3$. Get a BPA free plastic box, take it to work. Easy peasy.

I buy some things at the dollar store like olives or jarred peppers. You can also buy regular pasta there.

I recommend hard boiling a dozen eggs on Sunday and having those as an easy to grab breakfast protein. You will need the protein for recovery after your workouts. I do not recommend any kind of protein powder, I found that it caused bloating. Its used by body builders to build mass, it doesn't seem like thats what you are going for. Eggs are cheap, easy, and not hard to cook.

You need to understand something: you don't have the energy to cook because you stopped at McDonald's (didn't get their salads did you?) and filled up on sodium. Sodium will make you feel sluggish, tired, and bloats you. This is why you don't have the 20 minutes to cook. I'm not saying eat tasteless food. I'm just saying come home, cook it, and then eat it.

Run a stop watch on how much time it took to stop at McD's. Then think about how much time you could spend in the hospital because you had a heart attack. I have every intention of scaring you. You need to hear it. Were those minutes worth it? Do you even know what heart pain feels like? Its no joke.

The best thing I ever learned was batch cooking. I cook a batch of steel cut oat meal, a batch of home made whole wheat pasta, and a dozen eggs on Sunday. It works for the whole week. Not every meal must be the same. But those staples make life so much easier.

I love workouts. They help with insulin resistance, bone density, and fitness. But, you can't out run a bad diet. You just can't.

The best thing I ever learned was batch cooking. I cook a batch of steel cut oat meal, a batch of home made whole wheat pasta, and a dozen eggs on Sunday. It works for the whole week. Not every meal must be the same. But those staples make life so much easier.

I love workouts. They help with insulin resistance, bone density, and fitness. But, you can't out run a bad diet. You just can't.[/QUOTE]

Rapidbreath, I like this eye opening approach. Sometime we need to send the message accross in a scary way to reach the most people who need it!!!

Weight is good for highlighted reason above: You need to lift heavy to gain bone density though, weight help a lot for insuline resistance, it does rev your metabolism. More muscle you have in your body better metabolism you gain cause your body will burn more calories even when you are just seating:eek::eek: you would go on holiday and confidently step on my scale when you are back cause the scales won't budge:eek::eek::eek: Who does not want that!!!, Later on weight will get out of disease such osteoporosis. I can go on and on about benefit of lifting weight. This is not a joke. I am not even going to list the benefit you would gain on the way you would look!
You would look younger BTW. Who on earth does not want that?:cool::eek::D

All this can only happen with clean nutrition. Remember a saying which has been around:" Muscles are made in the kitchen" Ditch the junk and get busy in the kitchen. Just like the workout we need to make the time for it:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cooking in bulk does help a lot. Everytime I do it I am spot on my eating target.It's all about planning and being consistent. It does keep you away from eating crap!

http://cathe.com/the-benefits-of-lifting-heavy-weights-for-women

All the best,

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.