My sister's cat is quite ill. Looking for advice on the best thing to do for her.

BAM

Cathlete
Hello Cathletes. My sister's cat is 15 1/2 years old, lived most of it outdoors. She seems to be shutting down. The vet doesn't have a definitive diagnosis. They have her on an antibiotic but because she's barely eating, my sister isn't able to always give her the antibiotic because it makes her feel worse. She just lies around, has barely any muscle strength, has lost quite a bit of weight. She still has some fight in her as she fights being force fed. My sister says that when she does get some food in her, she becomes a bit more alert but she still is weak. She ate a bit more yesterday but today, nothing on her own except the little bit that is forced. Brewer's yeast has been added to her food. My sister is not ready to give up yet since she does perk up a little with some food even though it's nothing major. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.
Bam

Speaking from experience, if your sister's cat is trying to spend time away from her (or the rest of her family), then the cat is ready for the end of his/her life. Both of my older cats really tried to avoid us when it "was their time". I would say if the cat is still lovable, then it is still fighting and not ready to go yet. Of course, all cats are different, but I'm just telling you what I have seen with mine. Good luck to your sister. Definitely a tough time.

Thank you! I've had a similar experience with my cat over 30 years ago. My sister's cat spends most of the day in a corner on/in a bag. When I just spoke with her, the cat was laying on the carpet and welcomed someone petting her. Since my sister felt her cat was not ready yet since she was showing some signs of alertness, I think she's just going to take each day/hour as it comes which is all one can do. I didn't know if there was anything else that my sister could do for the cat. These happenings are the sucky part of having a pet. :(

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Bam

Has she tried baby food--turkey, beef, ham, chicken? Also be sure she is syringe feeding her liquids like pedialyte. The vet can't figure out what is wrong? Has he done blood work? I guess the best you can do is keep her comfortable and feed her a little at a time. There is also a vet prescription food A/D which is helpful. A friend who cares for ill and stray cats swears by beef broth--not chicken but beef--give frequently like every 2 hours or so. Just watch out for the sodium levels in the broth. Sorry to hear this. We lost our guy Telo to cancer in Jan and it was a long hard road. Sending good thoughts for your sister and her kitty.

How lucky your sister has been to have such a wonderful fur companion in her life! 15 1/2 years is a long adventure filled life for an outdoor kitty! Our beloved Socrates passed away at the same age back in 2005. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him and smile at the memories. It is terribly painful to lose someone you love; I think most of us go into denial as it is happening and miss the signs that are being shown to us. Your sister's little kitty sounds like she may be ready to go (especially if the vet can find nothing wrong). Maybe the kindest thing to do would be to keep her comfortable and clean, never forcing anything on her that she doesn't want....speak softly to her and touch her..make the last moments beautiful, pain-free, and peaceful. We held Socrates in our arms as his little soul left us right in the middle of our living room...it was the completion of one of the most significant relationships in our life. He left us on his terms, with dignity, and with 15 1/2 years worth of love and endearment.

Thank you so much ladies for your wonderful suggestions. I have passed them along to my sister. One's hope is that there is no pain or suffering for our wonderful companions. I hope that is the case here.

Bam

About five years ago, my cat (also 15) started to act in a similar manner...didn't want to eat and had a lack of energy. We found out his kidneys were starting to fail. We ended up giving him Sub Q fluids (at the vet) twice a week. He perked up enormously and began to eat again. It really helped for a few months.

One other thing the vet suggested to encourage him to eat was to microwave some wet cat food for a few seconds. By warming the food, it apparantly increased the smell, making the food more attactive to cats.

Good luck with everything. It's a tough thing, figuring out when is the right time to let go.

Shelbygirl

Thanks Shelbygirl. Many cat owners experience the same thing. It's nice to have others that understand.

Kitty did pass away earlier today. I'm glad she went on her own. My niece continued petting her for an hour. They had the cat since before she was born. Very sad. :( The always good side is that there is no longer pain or suffering if the cat was experiencing any.

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. They really did help!

Bam

Thanks Shelbygirl. Many cat owners experience the same thing. It's nice to have others that understand.

Kitty did pass away earlier today. I'm glad she went on her own. My niece continued petting her for an hour. They had the cat since before she was born. Very sad. :( The always good side is that there is no longer pain or suffering if the cat was experiencing any.

Bam

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Bam

{{{hugs}}}:(

Sending hugs your way. My cat, Adrian, passed away from kidney failure and acted the same way. Loss of a family member is very difficult.

I'm so sorry to hear your sister's cat passed away. I guess it was time, but still so difficult. My heart goes out to all of you. Your poor niece, having known the kitty her entire life.

Sending hugs to you and your family.

Thank you everyone and hugs to all of you who have lost a pet. It really is so hard but at least we have the wonderful memories of all the joy they brought us.

Thanks again and hugs and smooches to all of your pets!

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.